Ampeg Solid State Flip-Top

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Jan 7, 2003.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Looking for some information & advice here.

First, information. I have the opportunity to purchase an old Ampeg Portaflex (Flip-Top) 1x15 combo for $100. It's the solid state version (B-15T, I think it's called). I can't find much information about this combo on the web. Anybody know anything about it, as far as impedance, power (100 watts, I think), etc.?

It has two channels, with "bass" and "treble" inputs for each. Tone controls are limited to bass & treble knobs. You can pull out the treble knob for "ultra highs".

Now, advice.
    I had the chance to play it in a band (drums, acoustic & electric guitars, keyboard, percussion, brass) setting a few days ago, and I really liked it! It has a nice warm tone and is fairly flexible. I got a range of useful sounds out of it.

My main amp right now is the much-hated Fender BXR200 combo :rolleyes: I know, but I was young and it was all there was to be had in my price range at that time (this was before I got used to the concept of buying things online).

I've been working on selling it and upgrading to something more powerful and flexible; probably a 300 watt head and 2x10 + 1x15 cabs.

The problem is, I really like this Ampeg! It's a downgrade in power, which is fine for some gigs, but might have some trouble holding it's own in my three-piece that plays harder original material.

With a wife and baby to take care of, even spending $100 will take me out of the running for anything else right now.

If I sell the Fender and use some of the proceeds to buy this Ampeg and wait on the head+cabs, am I going to regret it later? I know this is pretty subjective, but I'd like to get some different perspectives on this.

Much better tone than my current amp.

Great price as far as I can tell (anybody have an idea what this amp is worth? I haven't figured out exactly how old it is yet, but late 60s is my guess based on what little research I have done).

You don't find these every day

Less power
  2. Hola
    If it's all black, 100 watts and the treble boost is a pull-out knob, it's a late-80s name-only "reissue." I've tried a few and didn't really like them. Found the tone to be very "boxy," but some like how that fits in with the kick drum.
    I'd say borrow it, try it, and if you don't like it, ditch it and chalk it up to experimentation.
    I'm in the same boat family-wise, but it can be done if you're patient.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had one of the early solid state B-15's but I don't remember the model number or much else about it. I also owned about three of the original tube B-15's and I liked them more. $100 for a working fliptop of any kind is a deal IMO, based on the cool factor alone. Unfortunately cool may not cut it on a gig so that would be my main concern.

If you could back it up with a pa it might work for louder gigs. Hard to say what would be best in this situation. Bear in mind that finding another one for $100 could be very hard to do. I haven't seen one in years.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Maybe you could buy it and use 'em both for loud gigs.
  5. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Brad, that's pretty much what I was thinking. This deal probably won't come around again. Most likely ought to jump on it and then get to savin' for a louder rig.

I appreciate all the input so far. Thanks everyone!