Ampeg sound out of a yorkville head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Rock kinda punk kinda pop band... Somewhere around Blink-182 and My chemical Romance.

Musicman bass(bongo/sterling).

I think thats all the info needed... other than the fact that I love the ampeg tone... either the classic 350 or whatever model or the SVT models. I love the tones.

I was wondering if I could grab one of the new yorkville heads 800 or 400 which ever and plug it into some 10" ampeg speakers if i'm bound to get that Ampeg tone somehow? or does that only come along when the whole setup is ampeg? Or do I even need the ampeg speaker? Is the yorkville cab anything like an ampeg?

I want to buy my first rig and I think the dudes at the stores are getting fed up with me in my bass search so I dont want to go in there and try all their stuff and turn around and buy nothing. Because I plan to buy online.

Just call me basser on a budget.
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    No, I don't think you'll get that same SVT sound out of it. But you will get a very good bass sound.

I used the new 400 watt Yorkville head with a 4X10 SWR in a club for an R and B gig recently. Never used one live before and had no time before the set to try it out. I just set it almost flat (I could barely see the eq controls in the dim light) and played. It had a great sound. Nice bit of tube grind with the tube dialed in a bit. I was impressed.

Normally I use a Mesa Walkabout if I bring my own amp. But the Yorkville was one I'd consider buying if i did so again. Great price and warranty from what I understand and they are reputed to be very reliable.

I don't know about the new Yorkville cabs. I've seen them but not tried them. I had 2 of their old 1X15s powered with a GK 2000 RB that were great. I used them for years at sometimes a very high volume. Fat and clean. I only sold them to downsize to the Mesa combo to save my back.

I imagine the new Yorkville cabs would be good for the type of music you're playing. And the Yorkville head with the SWR 4X10 is a great combination, and I'm not even an SWR fan.

But, in short, no, you won't get that exact sound. Just a really good sound that you can work with.
  3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I don't really have an answer to your specific question, but I'd suggest gving the local store a chance at the deal whatever you decide (unless they're complete idiots). Don't play games, just tell them, "Look, this is what I can buy this piece for, can you sell it to me for that?"

They may surprise you in a positive way.