1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg sound through Mark Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkbassistfc, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Ok, before you ask me why the hell would you want that, i will tell you why. We are recording tommorow and the producer(not sound engineer) really wanted me to hire out an ampeg as he wants that simple big tone(p-bass through an svt tone). I dont have the cash to do this so what would be the closest I could get with my markbass sa450 through 2 markbass 410's.

Thanks in advance:meh:

2. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    Get a busted up Ampeg head (maybe you could find one for free) and take out the insides and slip your markbass in there, then see if he notices the difference:eyebrow:

3. Lol, even busted ampeg heads are still worth a fortune here in aus lol. Good idea though

4. If you can get your hands on a sansamp DI - that'll work.
    It gives you this kinda Ampeg sound.

BTW. The producer wants that Ampeg sound (not you - right?). If he likes that sound so much he should make sure that there is an Ampeg in the studio.

Well, you play the SA450, then this is your sound.
    I'm not quite sure if it's your responsibillity to "follow his order".
    Unless your're a hired studioplayer who gets paid for this.

5. Cichon

Cichon

Sep 29, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Just use what you like, it's your sound.

6. Yeah, we will be using the sansamp for the Di part of the track, but we are also going to mic the bass cabinets. Cheers guys

7. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Have any friends in the area who own ampeg?

What about an emulator? There should be some sort of emulator in the studio? You'd think at least.

That's all I got

Peace

-Benny

8. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Well the obvious place to start is to use the VLE to take out any high sizzle and then increase it even more to taste.

Bit of bass boost and your done.

9. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    If the cabs are sealed, that might help.

10. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Suspended

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Why is this "producer" springing this on you at the last minute?
    I would think that he'd have a idea of the sound going into this and would of planned things well in advance.
    You paying this "producer"?
    Does he know what songs your planning to tackle?

11. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    use your gear! he probably doesn't want to spend the time learning to a good the sound with gear he may not be familiar with; but if its on your dime, then he should jest have to deal with it! otherwise look for a sansamp......

12. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Sounds like your producer is lazy. Unless this guy is doing you a favor or something, he's working for YOU, you decide on your sound. Good call with the blending DI and mic'd sound, I think that always sounds the best.

13. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Did he know where/(how much $$) to "hire out" an Ampeg?

If your band is playing rock music, I'd say this was a really great Idea.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021