Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pwl_311, Jun 15, 2001.

1. pwl_311

pwl_311

Feb 23, 2001
    Can anyone tell me some bass players who use ampeg rigs? I like the specs on the ampeg b2r head and may consider buying it, but I have read alot on hear about the "ampeg sound". Thanks

2. Straight from the Ampeg site for you:

Arion Salazar: Third Eye Blind
    Billy Sheehan: Niacin / Mr. Big
    Bootsy Collins: Parliament, Funkadelic, James Brown
    Brian Baker: Bad Religion
    BT: BT
    Chi Cheng: Deftones
    Chris Squire: Yes
    Christian Olde Wolbers: Fear Factory
    Cliff Williams: AC/DC
    Conrad Lozano: Los Lobos
    Dave Larue: Dixie Dregs / Steve Morse Band
    Donald Duck Dunn: Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
    Doug Pinnick: Kings-X
    Evan Seinfeld: Biohazard
    Francisco Ayala Gonzalez & Miguel Angel Huidobro Preciado: Moltov
    Garry Tallent: Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
    Geezer Butler: Black Sabbath
    Harold Hopkins: Puya
    Jack Daley: Lenny Kravitz
    Jason Newsted: Metallica
    Jay Bentley: Bad Religion
    Jayce Fincher: Marvelous 3
    Jim Widner: Jim Widner Big Band
    John Hiatt: John Hiatt
    John McVie: Fleetwood Mac
    Josh Paul: Suicidal Tendencies / Infectious Grooves
    Ken Casey: Dropkick Murphys
    Les Claypool: Primus / Col. Les Claypools Flying Frog Brigade
    Louis Cruden: Apartment 26
    Marcelo D. Rapp: Soulfly
    Mark Hoppus: Blink 182
    Matt Malley: Counting Crows
    Melissa Auf Der Maur: Smashing Pumpkins, Hole
    Michael Anthony: Van Halen
    Mike Fratantuno: Black Eyed Peas
    Mona Gnader: Sammy Hagar and the Waboritas
    Nikki Sixx: Motley Crue
    Paulo Pinto: Sepultura
    Queens of the Stone Age:
    Randy Bradbury: Pennywise
    Rex Brown: Pantera
    Robert Mercurio: Galactic
    Robert Trujillo: Ozzy Osbourne, Cantrel, Mass Mental -ex. Suicidal Tendencies
    Sam Rivers: Limp Bizkit
    Scott Owen: Living End
    Shavo Odadjian: System of a Down
    Steve Bailey:
    T.M. Stevens: The BOOMbasstics, Joe Cocker
    Tobin Esperance: Papa Roach
    Tom Araya: Slayer
    Tom Kennedy: Dave Weckl Trio
    Victor Wooten: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

The Ampeg "sound" is usually referring to mainly to the the one of their SVT model which is a tube head and has pretty much become a cornerstone of sorts for rock bass amps....The SVT is to bass what the Marshall Plexi is to guitar. I don't know really how to best describe the "sound" other than "UMPH!!!!" Pretty much anything Ampeg makes is good.

3. its basicly known as "fat". There is really no where else you can get that sound, other than a 60's or 70's Ampeg SVT head. There are a lot of close calls though, but nothing is better than that original. Players that use the non-all tube Ampegs are like Les Claypool, who uses the SVT-3, Mark Hoppus from Blink uses the SVT-4, which is the same as the 3, with more power. Not to say anything bad about the B2R, but you'll probly never get the tones of an SVT out of it. It has plenty of great tones, just not those tones.

4. pwl_311

pwl_311

Feb 23, 2001
    Thanks. Does anybody on here use a b2r or one of the other b series heads and have any recordings(mp3's) with the amp. If so let me know

5. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    You forgot Timmy C. from Rage agianst the machine.

6. and eddie eyeball from 2 skinnee j's.

7. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    the bassist in a friend's band played a warwick thumb bolt on 5 thru a b2r and an 8x10 - it sounded great. i dunno how close it can come to an svt tone, but unless you specifically want that, i wouldn't worry about it. it's a great head for the money.

8. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    And nothin' beats great head for the money...

9. Go to a place like Guitar Center or Mars (if you can) or anywhere that has the big Ampeg display. You can pick any combination of Ampeg heads/cabs. I was originally going to buy a B2R but I went the extra mile and got the SVT3-PRO and I'm very glad I did. I liked the tone of the B2R, just not an SVT. Ampeg has done a great job of getting the "Ampeg sound" out of solid state amps. It won't sound as good, and has fewer features than the SVT, but just go try it if you can before you decide to buy. If you do, welcome to the wonderful world of Ampeg. I don't hink you'll ever want to leave :)

10. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I own a B2R, and it is a solid and reliable performer (2 1/2 yro). It has a suprisingly wide variety of tones available, even though it's only a "solid state" amp. :)

If money is not an issue, you can't go wrong with the SVT Line. Test drive all the amps you can afford, then let your ears tell you which to buy.

It's a great time to be a Bassplayer. (Equipment wise anyway.)

11. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    I've been using a B2R through a Workingman's 4x10 for the past year or so. There is definitely an Ampeg sound with this amp, even with the SWR cab. Yeah, it's not an exact SVT sound but it's not a tube amp, either. If you absolutely have to have that sound then you have to have that amp. No two ways about it. And there is a price to pay, and not just out your pocket. The weight difference of these two amps is day and night. I think the SVT head weighs as much as my cab.

The B2R has been a great amp for my purpose. I wouldn't hesitate suggesting it to anyone.