Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I got to play through my nephews Ampeg rig this weekend.
    (B2RE head w/ 410HLF) I really liked the tone using a P-Bass.

My question is how much of the "Ampeg sound" is the head and cabinet combination? Is it more the Ampeg head or do you think you really need one of their cabinets to truely achieve that sound?
    And while I'm at it, can the Sansamp BDI or RBI really give you the "Ampeg sound"? Thanks for any and all comments.

Buzz

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    if you are referring to the sound of an SVT tube head through an 810 cab then, short of selling everything you own, I suggest you try a sansamp bddi pedal on the front end of your setup. it will get close to that tone, IMO, if you dial it in right

3. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    SVT through 8x10 cab... mmmmmm...

If only they didn't weigh 1 million pounds!

4. i wouldnt base the 'ampeg sound' on B2r heads, they dont sound anywhere near as good. However, It's hard to obtain 'that' sound you get from an SVT + 8x10 in any other way... I don't think sansamp pedals get there at all, but they help and sound good!

The real deal is what you need.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I can get my BDDI and RBI to sound SVT-like. NOTE: this is with my own settings... the sample settings in the SABDDI/RBI manual do NOT work for me!

Also, the Tech21 devices only deliver a small range of the Ampeg sound. Ampeg amps usually have contour switches plus the wonderful variable midrange control, whereas the Tech21 stuff is more limited, EQ-wise. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it likely explains why some people think the SABDDI can do Ampeg whereas others do not. :)

6. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    For my needs that would be overkill and the weight would probably kill me too!:smug:
    I just wondered if you had to match their heads with their cabinets to get that tone or if the head really gave you the bulk of the tone. (No pun intended on the bulk). I thought I'd throw out the Sans amp question too. The sample sounds Tech 21 has on their website sound pretty good, I just don't know of anyone that has one to speak from experience.
    Buzz

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I really like the B2R head, and I recently upgraded to an SVT Classic. When I had the B2R, I used the 410HLF cab. It sounds great at low volumes, but that's where it ends. I think it does sound "Ampeg" for sure, but again, at lower volumes. Probably more sterile and thinner than an SVT Classic. Using the B2R with the 410HLF, you tend to "over EQ" the head, and then it sounds like crap. This head seems happier with something like a high quality 2X12 cab, or a 2X10/1X15 combination. The SVT Classic head will bring out the low end of the 410HLF much better - this combination sounds quite good, IMO.

If you run the B2R into the 410HLF just as a stage monitor, and run direct into a mixing console - it will sound very good.

Skel

8. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I've been on the fence for a while on the SVT3-Pro because of too many reviews that poo poo it's power rating. To jump to the 4-Pro is 42 lbs. I'd rather get a PLX 1602 and SVP-CL and weigh in at 28 lbs and have plenty of power. As far as cabinets go, they have a new 112 coming out next month at 39 lbs. Or perhaps a pair of their classic 2x10's. (I can't have another 90 lb cabinet). :rolleyes:
    I did play the B2RE/HLF at low volumes, regardless I really liked the tone, just don't wanna lug that kind of weight.

9. Maybe I was a little harsh and should clarify that...

I actually play a Tech21 Landmark head, with two Sansamp preamps in it. I've spent a long time dialling a sound, and whilst SVT-like, just doesnt match the real thing. However, I still think its a great sound, just not as good as I strive for!

10. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    After 10+ years of using an SVT3PRO and various Ampeg cabs, I switched to a SVPCL -> QSC PLX1602 -> Berg NV610. This rig still has the Ampeg character, but is way more tight, punchy, and clear than any all-Ampeg rig I have tried, and I've pretty much tried them all.

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I agree with vroc38. You should totally get a SVPCL...

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    the 3 pro has plenty of power if you dial it in right, but you are not going to get the svt/810 sound from a 3 pro or even a 4 pro.

I also agree that the SVP CL is a fabulous sounding preamp.

i think the sansamps - stand alone - are not quite to the svt/810 tone. but the bddi in front of- say - a 4 pro sounds pretty d@mn close to the real thing IMO

check out the 8 pro or the SVT VR as well Buzz. Either will produce "that sound".

I also think the new Ampeg 112 cabs sound killer, I heard a pair demo'd with the 8 pro and I am picking up a pair for myself.

13. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'll say this here instead of starting a new thread.

I like the tone I get from my B4, but if I threw a Sansamp BDDI in front of it would I get closer to the holy grail SVT sound than I would with say, another amp and a BDDI?

In the sweet spot on my amp where I get the tone that I like I find that when I need to adjust to make different rooms less boomy or any other of those little adjustments that we all have to make, I often lose the tone I like, if I put a Sansamp in front of it would I have more EQ options while keeping my tone also?

Thanks

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    The closest to the holy grail SVT sound you will get with modern Ampeg equipment is with the SVPCL

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I dig my SVP-Pro, but I definitely have to check out the SVPCL pre sometime (I also have the NV610).

16. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    you have never heard the SVT-VR or 8 pro :)

Daytona955i - you asked "if I put a Sansamp in front of it would I have more EQ options while keeping my tone also?" i'd say yes. the bddi is the $100+ pedal version, not the rack mount version of the sansamp. your best bet is to buy one at a place like guitar center that has a liberal return policy & give it a try

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    A) Neither of those Ampeg products are even out yet

B) Both of them use the same SVPCL preamp section to get the vintage SVT sound

18. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    so i was right, you havent heard them. :) they may not be on the shelves yet, but if I were looking to buy a new ampeg, I'd wait until they were. The SVP CL was my favorite new piece of Ampeg gear until I heard the VR & 8 pro

the VR's power tube section, which is basically identical the original SVT, has as much or more to do with "the sound" as the preamp does. the 8 pro has some circuitry which is adjustable with the twist of a knob with which one can dial in some "growl", something you won't find on most power amps.

An SVP CL with a high power amp is a much cleaner sound than the power tube growl of the vintage. I used mine with a Stewart world 1.2 and I loved the tone, but it was a bit too clean for me. I actually added a tube distortion pedal, just barely, to get that extra growl. But the SVP CL tone was killer, IMO

also, i recall reading a recent post from Jerrold Tiers stating the preamp in the VR & 8 pro is very similar, but not exactly the same as the SVP CL.

*Edit*

Jerrolds post was about the 8 pro - "Not exactly the same preamp as the VR... but close."

The VR's pre may be exactly the same as the SVP CL, but I cant say for sure

19. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    So this morning in "The reading room" I'm flipping through BP magazine and see the ad for the SVT 6 Pro. I know it's relatively new but I'm surprised no one brought it up. (Or is there a reason no one did?) :eyebrow:
    Side note: Good to hear so many positives regarding the SVP-CL.

Buzz

20. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    although a fine amp, i didnt bring it up because it is essentially a higher wattage version of the 3 pro. please see my earlier comments on the 3pro.