Ampeg speaker cab query (frequency response)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman blue, Oct 27, 2002.

1. How does Ampeg get such a wide frequency response out of their SVT 410 HLF? They say the range is 48-18 khz, with a "useable low" end of 28 khz.

On their SVT 15E the range is 51-3 khz, with a "useable low" of 33 khz.

How do they get a lower response out of 10's, just the building of the cab? And what is the "useable low" number all about???? Why don't they just use the "useable low" number in the listed range rather than listing it seperately?

My Trace Elliott 1048H cab says the response is 45-7 khz. It has a horn, so why is the high end so much lower than the Ampeg SVT 410 HLF?

Okay, last question...If the Ampeg SVT 410 HLF does everything so well, am I better off getting rid of my TE 1048H and the Ampeg SVT 15E and replacing it with one Ampeg SVT 410 HLF?
  2. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    *ahem* first of all, I think(hope) you mean 33 and 28 hz, not khz.

What ampeg means: you get al flat response curve from 48-18khz, which is pretty bad for a bass enclosure.
    what they mean with lowest usable frequency : it's the lowest sounding frequency(just marketing bs with other words).

Your trace elliot uses an other horn then ampeg. It doesnt mean it can't go higher than that, the curve will just slowly roll down after that point.
  3. Okay, the lows are measured in hz's, sorry. If the Ampeg SVT 410 hlf has "a pretty bad" response for a bass cab, what are good numbers and who's cabs are better?
  4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Beware bassman blue, you are about to enter the SPEC zone, where cabs that sound good to you are crap because of the specs and those that sound like poo are really good.

Things to keep in mind as you make this journey:

1) Frequency response numbers are just a guide to the cabs electrical and mechanical performance but not how they will sound in real world situations.

2) Most of the sound that a bass generates actually begins with the first harmonic i.e. while, yes a 5 string bass will generate ~31hz a much louder signal is present at ~62hz. In other words, what people generally percieve as bass is the harmonic content, not the fundamental.

3) Your ears are much more effective musical implements than a bunch of scopes and multimeters.

Basically, if you like the sound of the Ampegs, get them. There is no universal better.
  5. Amen, If all cabs were evaluated in the exact same manner than specs would mean something. Fact is they are not. So use your years and forget the specs.:D
  6. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    Yes, I agree, your ears go first, but what is the tuning frequency of that ampegcab? looking at the flat curve it won't be much below 40 hz...
    Which means if you play a 5stringer you might damage it.

Good note on the harmonic.
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Oh No!!! :eek:
    How long will it take for this damage to occur? I've been playing 5 string bass for about 15 years mostly through ampeg cabs. I must be getting very close to meltdown,,,,
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

Ahhh, but you see grasshopper, your cabs have been broken from the moment they saw you approach with a 5 string. What you think is the Ampeg sound is actually the sound of broken cabs screaming in agony.

Trust me, the specs say they don't work so you are imagining things :D