ampeg speakers lighting up!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Jun 13, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so my band was playing a pretty big show this weekend with a few of my friends bands. so i loaned my cab out to a few bands and no problems.

so i set up my rig(svt 3 pro and a few other doo dads) and once we start playing, my speakers are lighting up. i didnt notice it till once of my friends pointed at it. now it did this once or twice in the past(only for my amp) so i'm assuming it has something to do with my amp.

i wasnt over driving the cab, its a 610hlf, which i'm underpowering the cab with my head. i just have no idea what is with the speakers.

anyone else know or have seen anything like this?
  2. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    The light you see is the fuse in your horn. When it is about to blow the fuse (which is the same thing some cars have as an overhead light) lights up sort of as a warning. The fuse blows instead of your horn. He must have been pushing it pretty hard for that to happen. You can buy replacement fuses at Auto Zone for cheap. A amp repair place will charge a lot for the fuse so get in the zone....Autozone.
  3. it's a resistor bulb in line with your tweeter.

turn down the highs. ;)
  4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    highs arent up high at all, and i dont have even have the tweeter on.

i play at these volumes all the time and only occasionaly this happens. could it be the amp giving it too much?

i mean, hell, i had plugged in a mesa 400+ after our set, and it got driven, it was fine.

i just dont get it.
  5. must have been some little gremlin spaking up in the cab
  6. Yes. You. Do.

If the tweeter wasn't on, I doubt the tweeter protection fuse would be lighting up. Maybe the knob got bumped moving the cab, or your friend turned it on cause he likes tweeters.

You could be underpowering the cab, too. As the amp starts clipping, a lot of extra high freq energy is added to the signal. So the tweeter is getting a bigger % of the total power than it would be under clean signals.

Much easier to blow a tweeter (or its fuse) by underpowering than to blow the main drivers.

7. What's not to get? IT'S A RESISTOR BULB IN LINE WITH YOUR TWEETER. You throw a little too much or too little power at the tweeter, and it "burns off" by lighting the bulb. Better that THAN blowing the tweeter, no? Get to know your equipment man.

Do you get it now?!?!?!?!?!?

Better yet, give the cab to me, as it obviously bothers you. Then I'll have two.
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    This is it! I used to blow bulbs all the time with my Acmes. Upgraded my amp to one with twice the power and I've barely seen the bulbs light up, let alone blow.

Some protection circuitry protects the attenuator as well as the tweeter, in which case turning the tweeter down is more likely to blow the bulb than having it up full.

9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok, i get the whole resister bulb thing, but the thing i dont effing get, is the fact that i didnt have my highs up at all. my highs are usually very very low. sorry that it bothers you so much that you feel the need to talk down to me because i didnt understand something. god forbid we arent all as knowledgeable as you. that is why i came on here asking for advice, because i didnt know. this is the first cab this has ever happend with, so i was a bit worried about ruining my cabinet. when you said "its the bulbs" i realize what the light was, but i still didnt understand why it happend. that is what i didnt get.

as for the tweeter being on. i can tell you, the tweeter was defintely not on. i keep duct tape over it so people do not use it.

what does make sense, is the person who said something about when an amp clips, more highs come through. makes sense. i was pushing the cab. i have onlyhad this happens a few times. now that i think about it, i was needing to play at a high volume those times and that is probably why.

so thank i know that i need to upgrade my head for some more watts.....
  10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    yep, clipping....And the SVT-3PRO does NOT have a limiter that would control clipping, since its a tube driven mosfet type... so it can clip pretty hard if you really drive it.

The highs are controlled by an attenuator, which is an "L-pad". Even when turned down, power is still going thru the protection and crossover into the L-pad, its just not going into the tweeter.

If you want to get rid of the tweeter, you have to disconnect the HF crossover. Because its all integrated with the jackplate, that is not easy. And, removing the tweeter wires won't do the job.

I'd just deal with it lighting up. If and when the light bulb protection does blow, the "problem" will be corrected.............. and you won't have had to modify anything.
  11. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i sent you a private message....
  12. Man, I can really be a dink sometimes, when I don't have my coffee. You have my sincere apologies for that gripe. Time to keep myself in check.

13. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
  14. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    its all good man. thats why i dont drink coffee.

but, i know what it feels like when i dont smoke weed. i get a bit snippy myself, so its all good.
  15. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If you don't like using the tweeter anyhow, and the bulb blows, then the tweeter you don't use won't work -- it won't affect your sound. In the mean time, enjoy the pyrotechnics, turn down, or get ahold of more clean power.

Also note that boosting the bass will cause your amp to clip faster than anything, and that clipping sends a disproportionately large and nasty signal to the tweeter, even though you're boosting the lows and maybe even cutting the highs on your amp. Sometimes that clipping is O.K. in a loud rock band situation, as in not noticable, but that flickering bulb is a good indication of power amp clipping.
  16. markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    When you turn the horn down, or even off, then the power which would have gone through it is diverted to the bulb, as a load. So, when your horn is turned all the way down, then you are more likely to get the bulb light up, or even blow. It's nothing to do with clipping, overdriving, and ESPECIALLY not underpowering, which is a popular myth, not a real phenomenon
  17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Wrong. Right. Wrong.

The power is diverted through the L-pad, but if the L-pad is overloaded and the bulb is designed to protect the L-pad as well as the horn then the bulb will start to absorb power until it blows. Whether the L-pad is protected varies from design to design.

If the bulb protects the L-pad as well as the horn, then turning down the horn will increase the likelihood of lighting or blowing the bulb.

It is very much related to clipping/overdriving, as this increases the HF frequency content of the signal. I've seen it myself far too many times, and the fact that nowadays I run loads of effects and general trebly things in as loud situations as before but don't blow any bulbs due to having more amp headroom confirms this fact. JBL have some good white papers on this subject, if you're interested.

Underpowering a cab is indeed a myth. Being underpowered is not though, and if your amp is clipping then upgrading to one with up to ~twice the power rating of the cab will allow you to squeeze every last dB from the cab. However, if you're willing to cart a little more, adding an extra cab will increase both wideband efficiency, low frequency efficiency and power handling, and will generally be much more productive than throwing extra power at your existing cab(s).

18. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    thanks guys. im just going to sell my 3 pro and upgrade to something with a tad bit more power.

and by tad bit, 1200 watts. :bassist:
  19. Not for nothin, but 300 TUBE watts is all you'd ever need, babe.

I seriously cannot turn up past 12/1 oclock on my amp with that cab, even in the bigger clubs.