1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Speakers made in China??? say it isn't so..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SamJ, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I just heard that Ampeg isn't using Eminence speakers in their SVT classic (and possibly other lines) of cabinet.. Is this true? I was told that they've got to a Chinese made speaker as of about a year ago.. :rollno:

Anyone know anything about this and what this means for the quality of the venerable Ampeg brand? I've never (repeat) never found anything of any reasonable quality come from China.. plus I hate to send my money over there while they're locking up people for practicing religion and freedom of expression..

Say it isn't so.. someone.... :bawl:

EDIT: Read on if you like, but long story short, this turned out to be BS.. they use 100% American made Eminence in their SVT and Classic lines..

2. I have not heard this, but I feel it is worth looking into!!!!!!

3. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Well, I forwarded the email to Ampeg that I got stating this "fact" so we'll see what the "official" response is, if there is one.

Fact is, I emailed them before I decided to go with their products to insure that I wasn't buying "made in China" and I was told made in the USA.

here is the exact email:

Dino seems like a very nice and honest guy, so I doubt he would intentionally lie, but maybe this was an engineering/business deceision that was made, and they "Assemble" the cabs in the US, so they can get away with it.. who knows? :confused:

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The cabs are made here, but the speakers could be made elsewhere. He doesn't specify speakers, so I dunno...

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Well I guess the question asked should've been, "Are any of the components used to build any Ampeg product made outside the USA?" Just as you stated, it could be assembled in America so that the term Made in America can be loosely used.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Lol. So I guess you're communicating on TB via the power of telepathy - unless your computer seems to be working just fine.

What about your digital camera, television, mobile phone?

7. If you send another email, ask specifically about the brand and model of speaker. Tell them you heard they were Chinese. Narrow it down to speaker.

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Is that better or worse than torturing people and/or detaining them without trial? Maybe you could provide a ranking system to guide us with our purchases? Just wondering.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ho ho ho! I like you :D

10. appler

appler Guest

I've played through a few relatively new Ampeg classic series cabinets in guitar shops and (to my ears) China's current system of government did not seem to affect the cabinets' tone in any way.

11. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Computer: parts from Taiwan, malaysia, and Korea (maybe some China, but I've not seen any) and all assembled in the US (Power Mac G5).

Digital Camera: Nikon D2x.. made in Japan.. lenses made in japan

TV: Sony's both made in Korea

HiFi system: HK made in the US and Taiwan

Mobil Phone - you got me.. But I really had no choice on that.. all of them are Chinese.. find me a Korean, Taiwan model, and I'll switch..

Look at my website.. I collect a lot of things that can easily be made in China, but I choose to buy American, German, or other 1st world nation (such as Korea, Taiwan) made stuff.. I'm no hypocrite in this dept. but some things are sadly unavoidable..

12. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I am NO FAN of the US's way of handling the Iraq war (or what ever they're calling it).. I served in Gulf War I, and that was a worthy cause.. this is BS.. I don't condone. But you can't compare what this "administration" which can be elected out of office (and will be) every 4-years to the Regime in China.. if you don't see a difference, then this conversation is a waste of time.

13. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    NOW.. as for the topic at hand..

here is what Dino just told me, and I will believe him at his word..

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Please close the topic before I get political :p

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like they still are using Eminences, which is good enough for me.

16. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    yeah, basically the good stuff (SVT / classic) is 100% US made with American made Eminences (not off the shelf, but custom made for them) speakers.. and the B series will be going to China very shortly.. which I think is a bad idea.. after all they can make all the Crate in China that they want, Ampeg should remain a pure high end brand.. oh well.. I don't run any music companies, so I guess I can't talk.

17. CraigV

CraigV

Jan 8, 2002
    FWIW, China is quite capable of making products as good or better than anything here in the US. Whether or not a product is good must be determined by examination, not assumption. Just as in the US, you can contract with a Chinese manufacturer to make junk, or treasure.

For example QSC has been making their RMX amps overseas since day-1, and they enjoy an excellent reputation.

18. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Even assuming you are correct, and it's been my anecdotal observation that "made in China" is not generally synonymous with high quality made western style products.. the fact that their labor, and environmental laws there are so bad (REALLY BAD), and the fact that they are a "selectively" communist regime that forbids freedom of religion and freedom of thought, all the while allowing a select few to become muiti-millionairs off the backs of child and slave labor alone makes me not want their products, much less the effect it has on the US labor market and other side effects that I find negative.
    It's not about whether Chinese people can do good work.. I have some rare and expensive chinese made art that proves they can.. it's about supporting their regime.. the same regime that shot down a P3 orion and held captive its crew for weeks.. the same regime that has 13 ICBMs and 25+ SLBM aimed at the US and Taiwan, and the same regime that forbids the Catholic church, and other Christian and non-Christian religions to practice their faith.

I can go on.. but I'd rather not so as not to hijack this thread into a political debate.

btw.. if you notice the flagship line of QSC (the PLX series) are made in the USA.. why would you think that is?

19. CraigV

CraigV

Jan 8, 2002
    With all due respect you've done a reasonable job of politicizing this issue already, despite your disclaimer. I was pointing out only that China has the same range of consumer product manufacturing capabilities as the US. Assuming "made in China" automatically means junk is just as folly as the assumption that "made in Japan" meant years ago, much to the chagrin of US auto makers. Those who fail to learn from history doom themselves to repeat it.

Regarding your "even assuming" comment; do you doubt the reputation of the RMX amps? How about the Peavey RQ-series mixers? There's plenty more examples of good quality products with reputable names.

The PLX is made in the US because the price point allows the higher manufacturing cost, and because at this price point the place of manufacture can be an issue. In the RMX's price point, it would be impossible to produce an amp to meetspec and price if it were made here.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I can't help staying out of this one. I went to China last summer. Quite frankly, there didn't seem to be any issues with religion and freedoms and such. The tour guide I had for part of my stay is a practicing Christian and goes to a public church somewhere in Shanghai. The government there does not like to interfere in private lives of the people, but it does act as a suppressor when people assemble in public (Tinnamin Square). The manufactured goods there that we import range in quality- from PJB to Berhinger in the bass amplification market. As for the "sweat shop labor" there, quite frankly its much like how the US was during its industrial revolution. Except the people working in these factories often come from rural families who don't have much wealth at all and can barely feed themselves (and sometimes cannot do that). The factories there may not be great working conditions, but they are better than utter poverty. I visited 2 factories by the way, one manufacturing silk textiles and the other making ceramic pottery with intricate designs. As for the environmental laws, it was pretty horrid air quality and the Chinese don't seem to want to change it too much... And also almost all of the profit from factories there goes to the (often foreign) owners. By having so few taxes, they can stay competitive in the world market. I dunno where you get the "select few becoming millionaires" thing. In fact, its the opposite. I met a woman whose husband was a CEO, and he made almost nothing more than her brother who is a janitor at a school. And as for the US labor market, you don't seem to buy from that much, as your goods are made mostly in foreign countries other than China. And they may have 13 ICBMs aimed at us; we have 6000 aimed at the world at large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.