Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg stv4-pro and what cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vega, May 31, 2005.

1. vega

vega

May 31, 2005
    I have a Ampeg svt-4 pro and a Ampeg 1X15" sub cabinet.
    when I was playing in a band I used to play on a Trace elliot 4X10" cabinet and the 15" cabinet.

I played in a nu-metal-like band with one 7-string guitar and drums. The guitarist had a Warhead(?) Dimebag signature amplifier, so it was some pretty heavy **** that came out of that guitar...

I felt that my sound was very low. Is this the cabinet or amp's fault - or maybe the warhead?

What Cabinet would fit my amp?

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If you plan on using a 5-string, you might want to avoid Ampeg's main line of cabs. I would go for something more efficient, along the lines of Aguilar, Eden, Mesa or maybe even Schroeder if it fits your bill. Gallien-Krueger and Avatar are also options, depending on your budget.

It seems like you need to punch through the mix a little more. The 4Pro is definately enough power to do so, if you run it mono-bridged to get the max power. The brand of cab you choose is strictly based on taste, since I'm sure you can get enough volume with the right amount of speaker surface and power.

My suggestions:
    4x10 + 1x15
    4x10 + 2x12
    4x12 (If you can handle the size)
    8x10 (ditto)
    And of course there's other options....

I'd personally take a look at Mesa cabs, since it sounds like your playing stuff along the lines of Metal and Death Metal. Possibly a 412 would suit you, if you could haul it around.