Ampeg suggestions, please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Octavio, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Octavio

Octavio

Sep 15, 2011
    Hawaii Kai
    From craigslist, I am likely to purchase an SVT 410HE this evening (8 ohms, 500W RMS/1000W Peak). I play in a three-piece rock and blues 'band'; we're older guys who just get together and jam. A gig may come our way some day, but we're not looking real hard. I don't think I need an SVT Pro: I don't need that much power, and I'm kinda cheap. Can anyone suggest another Ampeg amp for this cabinet?

Also, I already own an SVT 15HE (8 ohms, 200W RMS). I'm planning on experimenting with whatever Ampeg head I buy, that is, using the amp with the 410 only, the 15 only, or maybe using it with both cabinets. And I have read on here a million times that this last configuration is a bad idea, but I want to try it anyway and see how it sounds.

Matching ohms and watts is not my specialty so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ampeg PF-800.

Jim Carr likes this.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You might also consider some other micro heads. GK MB800 is my favorite, but most of them are fine. There is small chance you may find a used one on Oahu, so check one out at a store, and then look in TB classified.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  4. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    +1 on the PF-800. I have had one for about 6 or 8 months and I really like it. The PF-500 would probably do you well enough, but for a little more scratch, you get some nice extra juice with the 800.

5. Octavio

Octavio

Sep 15, 2011
    Hawaii Kai
    Thanks. Looking online at the owners manual for the PF-800 I see that the rated power is 400 watts RMS into 8 ohms. If I used the PF-800 with just the 15E (200W RMS) would it not damage that cab? Or for that matter, wouldn't that also be the case if I used the PF-800 with both cabinets at the same time when the rated power is 800 watts RMS into 8 ohms? 400 watts goes to one cab, and 400 watts goes to the second cab at 4 ohms, right?

6. Octavio

Octavio

Sep 15, 2011
    Hawaii Kai
    Correction: 800 watts at 4 ohms.

7. Read the stickies.

You can use any amp with any cab if you are aware of the limits and potential of each piece of gear. You would be louder with the PF-800 through a single 410, than if you added your 115 to that 410. The 115 is a weak link, and shouldnt be paired with any other cab outside of a matching 115.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    While I agree with CL400 about the 410/115 pairing, might as well try it if you have it. But bear in mind that your volume will be limited to what the 15e can put out, otherwise you'll blow it. But yeah, you can use any amp you want with any cab you want and not blow it as long as you use common sense and open up your ears to possible cab damage.

Also, PF800 does rule for not much money. I had a PF350 before the PF800 and still got it and I really like it as well, but the extra headroom in micros really helps the tone IMHO.

9. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    +1 PF800 - it will rock with that 410

You won't even need the 115 - leave it home for practice or when you don't feel like dragging out the 410

I've had the PF800 for over a year

Jim Carr likes this.
  10. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    SVTs are 2 and 4 ohm heads. Either of those cabinets used by itself would be an 8 ohm load. I'd go for a V4B.

11. Well since you said you are on the cheap side and no real plans to play out, I'll be the voice of reason and say the PF350!

johnpbass and JimmyM like this.
  12. Without spending too much cash, you will want something with a bit of power for both cabs.

Is there a need for both cabs?

I play in mostly 3 Piece Blues and Blues-Rock bands and generally use a 212 with no problems.

Mostly playing with a guitarist with a 40w Combo.

If you are using a 1 cab setup, then I'd get a PF-350/PF-500 or a Micro VR. Or perhaps an Ampeg B2?

The PF-800 would be a good option for using the big stack.

13. devinp17

devinp17

Jun 26, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    +1!

14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    PF350 and 115HE would be a nice combination for what the OP is doing, IMO, that is moderate volume level rock and blues setup and the head is a bargain at $299.

High Camp likes this.