Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Anyone used/use this preamp? If so how's the sound and what power amp did/do you use to drive it. Considering getting one if I get good feedback. Thx for the help.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I just recently bought one but I haven't played with it yet.
  3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    If time allows...lemme know what you think of it.
  4. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Tried one, briefly, in a store. Made all these snarling, aggressive sounds...honestly, it scared the stew outta me. I stopped before I found "clean".

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I don't know if Billy Sheehan even uses this one! I saw a recent picture and he had Pearce preamps in his rack.

I think Victor Wooten had one in his rack when I saw him last month...don't think it was on though.

It's a great preamp if you like a distorted bass tone. Granted both clean channel and distortion channel can run simultaneously but I found that I preferred the tone of my SVT-350H's preamp to the clean channel.

I've since found an old Pearce BC-1 that I'm very happy with.

If you buy a BSP, make sure you get it from a dealer that gives you a return policy in case it's not your cup of tea...

Good luck!

p.s. I haven't looked, but there are probably reviews on Harmony Central, and maybe even the dudepit
  6. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    I tried one and it was Noisey. Your sound person will freak out. Way tooooo much hiss
  7. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Thanks very much for the info everyone....alas, the search for the great preamp continues (that's a hint Trip, for some info on GK's "coming soon" section) Take care everyone. ;)
  8. I had one - got rid of it after a couple months and got an SVP-PRO instead. I couldn't get any useful sounds out of the distortion side - they all sounded like sand in a blender.

I used a Peavey DPC1000 under the SVP-BSP - I'm now using a QSC RMX2450 and am much happier.

But my back isn't :(
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    ain't that the truth

I'm using the svp with the 1850HD, and my 5/6 space rack is the straw breaking this camels back.

Razor: If Ampeg is what you're after, you may want to give the svp-pro a listen. It's a darn good pre, and falls into any rock (or blues) format quite well. It's versatile enough to cover other genres too, but I think it really shines in a rock setting.