Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-BSP on Basstasters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Mar 6, 2004.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    www.basstasters.com/preamps/svpbsp.htm

Hi everyone - sorry I've been so slow to update lately. Life has gotten intense of late.

I just uploaded great clips (thanks to RCZ!!) of the Ampeg SVP-BSP Billy Sheehan model preamp. I have to say that IMHO this on blows the pants off the SVP-PRO by a mile. More flexible, warmer, less noisy, and if you're into distortion, the BSP has it in spades. If you're needing a hair-metal fix,
    check out SVP-BSP clip "distortion 2".

Coming soon - Tara labs cable tests, Read Purity, Epifani Quest 2!

www.basstasters.com/preamps/svpbsp.htm

2. I think "blows the pants off the SVP-PRO by a mile" is contentious. They are very different preamps. Also, comparing them (or any preamp) with no EQ is not a fair comparison. Many of these preamps are not voiced anywhere near flat and aren't intended to be used that way. Some of the hi-fi models like the iAmp probably come close.

Take the SVP-PRO and click in the Ultra-Low switch and notice how different "flat" sounds. Completely different! IMO, the SVP-PRO sounds very boxy with everything set flat and I would never use it this way. However, with a few EQ adjustments, I can make it sound very close to my Eden. It's very flexible, but complicated as pointed out in the Bass Player review.

On the other hand, I and many others have found the BSP to exhibit a strong "Jekyll and Hyde" personality. On one hand it has a beautiful clean sound, but then it has this incredibly saturated distortion. It's getting the tones in between where I think that the SVP-Pro excells.

In any case, it's nice to have the mp3s to listen to for reference.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    This is the first time I've ever heard someone prefer the BSP over the SVP.

4. First I've heard this too. I've owned a SVP and tried out a BSP, and even though eventually the SVP didn't cut it for me, I prefered it over the BSP. IMO, the SVP was warmer and more flexible.

And as far as the noise, I don't understand all the hype. If the SVP is used with a poweramp, no noise is heard. The fan on poweramps is louder then the SVP...with neither being heard at gigs.

Now if the SVP is being used w/o a poweramp, like for recording, then sure I can see where it's a little noisy. But for gigs, the noise level is overrated. IMO of course. :D

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, the noise that people complain about comes through the speakers and is noticeable at low volumes. But I agree that at band levels it isn't a problem (at least in my experience it wasn't a deal breaker).

It can be frustrating to spend a load of money on a rack system and end up with noise, even if it isn't audible at band levels. As I've said on other threads, I took care of the problem with different tubes. I hope that new Classic preamp Ampeg has eliminates the problem entirely!

6. Ok, I stand corrected. I must have had a good one then, no noise through the speakers at all...just the noise my bass made. It did have a very slight hum that could be heard when first turned on, but the fan from the power amp drowned that out. My apologies to anyone that went with this preamp by my recommendation, and had noise issues. A few people have asked me in the past about the hum, so again my apologies to them.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ooh, you've stirred up my GAS pains again!

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    On the Basstasters website, I have to admit that I preferred the sounds of the BSP over the SVP. But the point about adjusting EQ to taste is well noted. That can make a huge amout of difference. It's entirely possible I could dial-in my favorite sounds on the SVP.

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice Vanselus...... I really like the "distortion1" clip......POWERFUL!!!!! :bassist:

10. Nice!
    I like the distortion 1 sample and the overdrive sound.
    My SVT-3 sounds is somewhere in between those two sounds.

What about the Tech 21 preamps (PSA-1 and RBI) on Basstasters?

11. let me add some commentary, since it was my BSP that was tested.

there is a button on the front panel for blending the two channels. it's really easy to use a very low gain signal from the distortion channel blended with a nice, warm signal from the clean channel to get a good overdriven tone that isn't very saturated.

you can also get overdriven tones from the clean channel by turning up the gain. both of these methods have worked to get an "ampeg" sound from this box.

i have found that the BSP sounds similar to a B5R head. the BSP with a good power amp is a lot cleaner and warmer, and has a lot more headroom. the controls are essentially the same. so if you don't like the BSP, then you probably won't like that head.

but i've found that the BSP can get chacteristic ampeg tones, but it can also be much cleaner and warmer than ampeg. so if ampeg is your bag, you may not like the BSP as much as the PRO. but if you want the flexibility to get both ampeg tones and unique, warm clean tones, as well as sick distortion tones, the BSP is the way forward.

like Todd, i prefer the BSP greatly. i think the EQ gives it many different sounds and it can be used for more than just slightly overdriven, characteristic sounds. since hearing it on basstasters, i am beginning to regret selling it.

robb.

12. Okay,

last weekend I went to one of them big gear shops over here in Belgium (there ain't that many) and tried out the Ampeg SVP-BSP. It was hooked with one of them new SVP-1600 poweramps. The cabinet was an Ampeg 6x10 (don't know what model). The bass I used was a Fender Jazz Bass from the shop.

I liked the clean channel... deep and clean sounding. I pumped up the gain button to obtain overdriven (tube) sounds but I couldn't get them out of the 'clean' channel. The overal sound was very warm. Very good and punchy. I had it up fairly loud (poweramp at 12 o' clock). No problems with this setup in a loud rock-band I guess. I did miss some more EQ possibilities; the mid-frequency knob that's on that many Ampeg heads isn't available here... bummer.

The distortion channel. It sounded okay on lower gain settings.
    To much distortion delivers that 'hair'-metal sound like one of them samples from 'Basstasters'. I can't think of a situation where I'd need that imho.
    Anyways, the trick with this amp is the combine switch of course. Now, you need some basic level of intelligence for this one ;) Just kidding.
    I had the clean channel set to my liking and combined it with a little distortion from the distortion channel... again, not a sound that I liked. A little too harsh. Let me explain, I like the sound from a Muff or a Rat on bass... but this distortion from the BSP is different, harsher, less musical in my opinion.
    Again this is my opinion as you can see and I agree that this preamp isn't for everybody.

My main rig is an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro that I truly love. My sound is quite overdriven (tubey) and very grunty (quite a lot of mids together with bridge pickup on my Warwick)... All I can say is that I couldn't find this beloved sound in the BSP.
    I'd like to have tried the SVP-Pro but it was sold out.