Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-BSP preamp+QSC PLX1202+Avatar B410PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Oct 30, 2005.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Ok guys!

I dont know, but the Avatar 410PRO lacks of low end. I dont know what I am doing not getting low end from this rig. I was with my band practicing, and I can get more low end from my Peavey TNT150. 150 Watts, rear ported combo, from the Avater Rig, 1200W. front ported cab.

I change the filter to 30hz, change it to 50hz, disable the filter, and I can not get that low end, I am regreting of deciding on 410 than the 212. I dont know if testing the Peavey and the rig, the room or something get that low end from the TNt150 than the Avatar rig.(location of the cab etc, room acoustics)

I'll keep you posted, any suggestions?

2. Make sure there are no speakers out of phase - very easy to do with a 9V battery, plug a 1/4" cable in and touch a 9V battery to the other side of the cable (the side not plugged into the cab). All of the speakers should move in the same direction and stay there until you remove the battery. If you have a speaker moving in a different direction then you will need to pull it out of the cab and reverse the wires.

Do you have the 8 or 4 Ohm cabinet?

I just ordered the same cab, so if you find the problem, please fill us in.

- Andrew

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You might want to look into your gain staging. How many of the green signal lights on the front of the QSC are lighting up?

I'm also assuming your TNT is a 1x15, which will always have a different resonse than a 4x10. You could always add an avatar 1x15 cab :bassist:

4. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    I have the 4 ohm cab, I did this test, and the speaker are moving in the same direction.

keep you posted

5. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Almost all of them are light up. I am just one cab bass player, getting two of these to a gig is very physical!! I dont know if standing far form both of thgem give me the diference, but will see!

6. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    any other input?

7. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    well, eminence claim that the KappaPro low response go low, 45hz!! and the application for this speaker is for woofer application. lets see!! Keep testing

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Are you running stereo or bridged? IIRC the 1202 doesn't put out much juice from one channel into 8 ohms.

9. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    I am running bridge, 4 ohm cab

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm out of ideas :( Maybe the cab is just a stinker. Try to beg/borrow and Eden D-410XLT and/or a nice 1x15 cab and see how that treats you.

Also, with 1200 watts @ 4 ohms into the cab, you may have blown something up.

11. Try making sure the speakers are tight and there are no leaks at any spots such as jack-place, casters, speaker holes etc. Maybe try isolating from the floor. Also, try a different room, or play with your back to a wall - which will help you identify room modes. It should sound very boomy near the well.

Are you noticing that certain notes disappear while others are tearing out your eyes? Which ones?

- Andrew

12. Also, keep in mind that the EQ sections on the Peavey and Ampeg BSP are completely different. On the Peavey (if I remember correctly), you've got a Bass knob and a graphic equalizer. The EQ on the BSP is parametric, right? I'm thinking it's just how you've got your preamp equalized. Could you let us know what your knob positions are? Certain frequencies can dial in low end better than others, and it's not just 'turning up the Bass knob'.

ps. My Mesa 4x10 always had more low end than my 2x15. Weird, huh? It was all due to how I eq'd my preamp.

13. I think that you just have 'that' feeling with 15" cabinets. I played a 15" and 410" next to eachother with the same bass/amp. And I switched back after a few minutes to the 15". Because I just didn't like 410 combinations (so far).

No matter what EQ you use, the 15" will still have that little bit of a 'boom' that makes them better.

(Now I'm looking into 115" + 210 though. To have boom and growl/punch)

Otherwise: try to contact Dave from avatar.

14. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Well, Eminence Kappa Pro are rated 500watts each, it is a 2000 watss cabinet

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    :eek:

Well actually, that could explain it. Very high power handling speakers typically have very low efficiency, and very *deep* bass response. Deep and fat are not the same thing. Two things are going on I think. You're actually underpowering the cab by almost 50%, and you're also trying to put out lots of energy down in the 30hz range. Try cutting low bass and boosting low mids between 120-200hz and see if that helps. If not, you may just need another 800 watts or so (but I'd reccomend a more efficient speaker cab instead).

What is the efficiency spec of the cab?

16. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    what you are saying make sense, please read and help!! :)

ok:
    the SVP-BSP have two channels one clean (tube driven), one overdrive (Solid State driven). The two channels can be combined, giving a a high frequency presence to the bass and boost midrange. The clean channel have a bass control @40hz, mid control at 300hz and TReble control at 10khz. There is a bass boost control for 30hz and for treble @15khz. The overdrive channel have a bass @ 100hz, sweepable mid between 300hz thru 2khz and a treble @7khz.

The settings are as follows:

clean channel:gain@ 1o'clock, bass@2 , mid @12, treble@12, volume@1 o'clock.

overdrive channel: gain@9 o'clock, bass@11 o'clock, mid boost control@2 o'clock, mid frequency@1 o'clock (dont know the frequency selected), treble@11 o'clock, volume@2 o'clock.
    Master@10 o'clock.

increasing the gain in the overdrive channel will add distortion,thats why i'm keeping @9 o'clock I am using this channel as a treble-mid boost.

with the volume controls, i can reduce or boost each channel. i will try boosting the clean channel and turn up in steps, the gain of the QSC amp from low to high.

In the QSC amp:gain are from 8 thru 32, tested setting: 28(gain contrtol @4 o'clock.

Any recommendations on frequecy settings, please let me know.

thanks

17. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    that could be and also make sense, but i play once with a ampeg 810, i think rated 1000watts with a 800rb that will deliver about 300watts into 4 ohm, and sound big!!!so ratio is almost the same of what im doing. Kappa are very effiecient. I will try also the EQ setting you suggest

18. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    maybe the 15" speaker sickness!! :bassist:

19. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    the B string sound big, e and a string start decaying a bit.

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That was 8 10s for a total of 1000 watts, or 500 watts per 4x10. You have a single 4x10 that handles 2000 watts, I just can't imagine that they are very efficient. The Avatar website doesn't list efficiency, unfortunately.

The GK+Ampeg was also not trying to put out a bunch of super-low bass. It has the EQ curve I'm suggesting "built-in".

With speakers, there is always a trade-off. If they go super deep and handle a lot of power, they usually NEED a lot of power to sound good. Do a search on Acme cabs, its the same issue.

The EQ will probably help, but it sounds like this is not the right cab for you (especially since you liked the sound of the ampeg, which is the polar opposite).