Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-BSP Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4String_Ninja, Dec 12, 2000.

1. 4String_Ninja

4String_Ninja

Aug 14, 2000

I'm looking to buy a preamp of sometype and I noticed the new Ampeg Billy Sheehan signature preamp. Does anybody if this thing is any good. And another thing; I've heard the Eden Navigator is one of the best but WHY? And what about the SWR Interstellar? Any input appreciated.

-Thanks

2. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    The Billy Sheehan preamp is a nice preamp if you plan on running in stereo with two cabs. One clean(dry) and one dirty(wet). I went with the Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp and love it. IMO, it's the best preamp for the money and you usually can get these dirt cheap, used. You also mentioned the Navigator which is a fine preamp. Your best bet is to try them all out.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The BSP bass preamp is truly a Billy Sheehan´s aproach to the bass sound.
    That Pre Amp is basically solid state, with just 1 tube for the drive. No graphical EQ, but split signals for Dirty/Clean Sound.

I would buy the SVP-PRO Preamp. It has 5 Tubes. (What a sound), Graphical EQ, and Endless tone-shapping capabilities, and of course it is the Ampeg Sound I like.

The SWR Interestellar Overdrive is very nice. The Aural Enhancer works best to bring the bass up-front and cut over any band.The Overdrive Sound is not very distorted, more like a warm tube overdrive with lotsa LOW End.