Ampeg SVP-BSP Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4String_Ninja, Dec 12, 2000.

1. 4String_Ninja

Aug 14, 2000

I'm looking to buy a preamp of sometype and I noticed the new Ampeg Billy Sheehan signature preamp. Does anybody if this thing is any good. And another thing; I've heard the Eden Navigator is one of the best but WHY? And what about the SWR Interstellar? Any input appreciated.

2. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    The Billy Sheehan preamp is a nice preamp if you plan on running in stereo with two cabs. One clean(dry) and one dirty(wet). I went with the Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp and love it. IMO, it's the best preamp for the money and you usually can get these dirt cheap, used. You also mentioned the Navigator which is a fine preamp. Your best bet is to try them all out.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The BSP bass preamp is truly a Billy Sheehan´s aproach to the bass sound.
    That Pre Amp is basically solid state, with just 1 tube for the drive. No graphical EQ, but split signals for Dirty/Clean Sound.

I would buy the SVP-PRO Preamp. It has 5 Tubes. (What a sound), Graphical EQ, and Endless tone-shapping capabilities, and of course it is the Ampeg Sound I like.

The SWR Interestellar Overdrive is very nice. The Aural Enhancer works best to bring the bass up-front and cut over any band.The Overdrive Sound is not very distorted, more like a warm tube overdrive with lotsa LOW End.