Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg svp-bsp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muncie, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Hello people,
    I recently saw a DVD of Billy Sheehan explaining the signal chain in his rack and it appeared that he was using the ampeg svp-bsp preamp(oddly ehough) but was plugging it in to the front end of an ampeg SVT pro 4, not bipassing the preamp section. Does it seem like he's just using it as another eq? I'm wondering if this is safe to do on any amp.
    Thanks for reading my post...I enjoy this forum greatly.
    Peace, Chuck

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    sorry to invade your thread, but I'd love to see this DVD, which is it friend?

3. Here ya go mon.
    Cheers

shop.store.yahoo.com/playmusic/bishbabad.html

shop.store.yahoo.com/playmusic/bishadbad.html

4. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    thank you kind sir!

5. Alot of people, when using separate pre's into a head will go right into the input. Since Billy's really big on distortion/OD, I'm sure he likes the added gain from the head's pre. Plus, the SVT4pro has a graphic EQ, and if I remember correctly, the BSP has just knobs. Putting the BSP in front of the SVT would yield a world of tonal options, and if he didn't want that flexibility, why didn't he just get a power amp?

6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I got that video. He actually plugs into the preamp, then out to the crossover of the svt-4, then to the power amp section, then to the speakers. He actually does not use the preamp on the svt-4 at all.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The -BSP also has a master volume pot, so you can adjust the output voltage not to overfry what you are plugging it into