Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-BSP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Jul 7, 2001.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Does anybody had tried/owned one ampeg SVP-BSP preamp that could give me it´s opinion?

2. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Hey there CaracasBass,

I like the units so well I have two of 'em, one for each rig! In my search for my own version of tone nirvana, I tried the SVP-Pro twice, the Alembic F-1X, EBS 1-V2, and Warwick Quadruplet.

I think they're ALL great preamps, but for me
    The SVP-Pro was a touch too noisy
    the EBS 1-V2 was complicated and somewhat sterile
    the F-1X was lacking in the mids departmnet
    the Quadruplet was too low-output

The first time I plugged into my first BSP, I was able to get a sound I was happy with (and better yet... sat perfectly in the mix) within minutes. The distortion channel, by itself, is too over-the-top, but mixing it with the clean channel is a blast. I don't bother splitting the amplification of the clean and dirty channels, though, as it works find in blend mode.

The noise gate on the dirty channel works OK, but I really almost never use it... at the distortion levels I use, the noise level is just fine. Also, the compressor on the clean channel is about as useful as the compressor in the Eden WT-800 I had... not! I leave it off.

I really like the unit because it's clean channel really is clean, because you can mix and EQ a separate distortion channel to your tastes, and because it is at least as quiet as the EBS... no small feat!

I'm sure the features don't work for everyone, but they work just fine for me!

Hope this helps...

3. Very cool.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Thanks LowRanger,
    I´m really interested in it because I´m into that cool overdriven-bass sound (Rage against the machine-like) but I hate loosing the low bottom. I have a boss ODB-3 wish is a good bass overdrive pedal but now I´m looking for something PRO, so I think this could work fine.

5. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    CaracasBass, you're welcome. I'm really happy with the distortion on this unit, it's nice to have the effect available without having to carry a separate pedal. And you definitely won't sacrifice any bottom-end when you use the distortion channel!

I hear the SWR InterStellar Overdrive is pretty nice, but I've never tried one. The SVP-BSP is a much-overlooked pearl!

Best of luck!