Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP CL - bass@20Hz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markorbit, Sep 28, 2005.

1. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Just got myself one of the new Ampeg SVP CL preamps and believe it or not I'm finding it hard to get a balanced tone out of it. Sure, it has plenty of mids and grind but getting some AUDIBLE bass on there isn't as easy as turning the bass knob.. at least not at home with an Ashdown mini 4x8. The Ashdown EVOII has no problem. I think it is due to the bass frequency set at 20Hz which is really low. I've tried the ultra low but that also seems to suck 20db of mid out @ 600Hz which is a too much.

So for now, it's back to the Alembic. Why is the Ampeg voiced like this? Anyone else have issues getting some audible bass on there? Why 20Hz???

2. Where did you see 20 hz? I actually had the opposite problem with mine when I had it. It was very thick and deep sounding. Have you tried messing with the ultra low knob? Unless you have like an older version I dont know about, it should have a 5 position knob that adjusts the low end. Settings 4 and 5 give a more bassy sound.

3. Right now I am running a 1x15 and a 2x8 setup and I have no problem getting more bass with the bass knob on my SVP-CL. When I unplug the 1x15 I get a similar situation to yours. Perhaps you are looking for low mids with a 4x8 cab. Try mid frequency 1 and boost to taste.

All I can say is some amps and cabs work better together than others. The bass knob on the SVP-CL is indeed low but it works well in certain situations.

4. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I think I'm looking for something around 100Hz...

I'll bet it's real good sound once I can eq the thing!

Oh, the 20Hz is specified in the manual, I actually thougt it was 30Hz but it says 20Hz!!

Wish it was 40Hz at least.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    A couple things....

EQ can "add" or "subtract". Add what you want, or take away what you don't. Something to remember.

The low is shelving, so it doesn't JUST operate at 20 Hz, the 20 Hz is a spot where it has the specified amount of boost.... just convenient for the measurement. As a shelving control, it has boost above 20 Hz, a decreasing amount as frequency goes up.

My suggestion would be to try different settings of the "ultra-Low" 5 position switch, and the "mid" and "mid frequency". I suspect that will let you get to where you want.