1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVP CL Mute/Peak light stuck on

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAT TAT TAT, Dec 9, 2006.

1. The peak light is stuck on and when I turn it on and off after a while I get like a minute of godlike sound, but then it switches back to peak and no sound. I'm at practice right now and on my sidekick, please someone help me get sound!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    When the mute is engaged, the bypass light comes on and stays on. Maybe your mute switch (or the footswitch jack for it in back) is dirty or needs repair.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Is the amp possible overheating? Does it feel hot to the touch? The amp takes air from the back and vents out the front.

4. bongomania - makes a slight bit of sense there.. but i dont want to mess with it, if its nothing simple i think i have to return it to the ebay seller that stated it was nearly perfect.

gearhead 17 - its the svP cl the single space rackmounted preamp, not the all tube svT cl.

Anyone experience this before?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Try spraying a bit of contact cleaner into the mute switch and switching it on/off several times. Then spray a quick shot into the footswitch jack, and plug/unplug a cable into it several times, to break up any corrosion or dirt. Cheap and easy. If that doesn't help, then think about taking it in to a shop or returning it. A good contact cleaner is Caig's DeOxit.