Ampeg SVP-CL opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amper, Mar 16, 2004.

1. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    As if my rack doesn't weigh enough, I'm thinking of adding another preamp to my big rig just for more sonic options (not that I really need more options, either...). I see Ampeg has a new SVP-CL preamp, and I'm also considering a SansAmp RBI (or maybe even both...). Good old Ampeg goodness or 100% analog solid-state RBI? Hmm...

Just for the record, if you haven't seen my rack, I'm currently using an SWR 'Stella for my main pre, with a Trace Elliot V-Type pre for the occasional more round sound, plus I have a JoeMeek VC1Qcs that gets used mainly for compression, but can also be used as a preamp (as it's really a mic pre/tracking channel).

Can anybody offer opinions on the new SVP-CL?

2. I used the Sansamp RBI in one of my rack setups running into the input of the Trace VType and it sounded pretty awsome. I basically used the RBI as an overdrive and bypassed it for clean. However, unless you just like having everything in a rack, you can get the same sound with the Bass Driver Pedal for about half the price. That is what I use now, and I use it for all kinds of different stuff. It comes in real handy when I'm running late and don't have time to set up my rig. Its much better than going purely direct. I think its just a great piece of equipment to have in your gig bag for any occasion.

With that said, I really did not like the RBI as a stand alone preamp. It just was not versitile enough for me. But if you allready have two preamps, then that wouldn't be an issue. Plus, the Sansamp does a pretty good SVT impression, so you could kill two birds with one stone. If you want to save a little cash and be more flexable I would go for the Sansamp Bass Driver pedal.

That new SVP-Classic looks pretty groovy too. (Insert drooling smiley face here!)
  3. I can't wait for basstasters to get that up on the site. ;)
  4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Musicians friend has thing up now priced at $499 actual paid price.

Is it really out? Any reports? Is the noise gone?