1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVP-CL output...help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stachio, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I did a search on this. I know the SVP-CL's and QSC's don't quite match up in terms of sensitivity. I went to a technician to figure out how to solve the problem. I'd be looking at a $180 bill, though, which is a considerable chunck of what I paid for it. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions (maybe something to put in the signal path to boost the signal?).

Thanks

2. What about an EQ pedal? You should be able to run that flat, and just boost up the signal a bit. I've done this in the past for Mic's which suffered from the same problem.
    Failing that, any other pedal should be able to do it at a pinch, provided the inherent 'colouring' of tone doesn't ruin your sound.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I'm bumping this figuring Jerrold Tiers will get to it. Boosting the input signal isnt going to help, its the output that needs to be boosted. The newer SVP CLs now have a higher output and its supposed to be a pretty easy "fix" on the early ones. why dont you contact Ampeg directly about it?

4. Sorry - I wasn't too clear was I?
    Pop the EQ pedal in between the SVPCL and the poweramp, just watch the clipping light on the poweramp tho!

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i think its covered under warranty at an Ampeg authorized service place. every i know that has had that modified has gotten it done for free...including me.

6. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I bought this one on the Bay, unfortunately. I called up Ampeg, and they gave me the address of this local shop which charged me a bench fee plus $180 to fix the problem.
    Maybe I should just ask the guys at Ampeg if I could ship it directly to them?

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    First, what is the serial number?

Only the very first run had lower output, anything recent has an added 6dB.

Yes, that has been covered, at least it was. I don't know if that has changed under the new management. Tommy Wilson dealt with that, but we have a new group now in charge.

My understanding was, however, that it generally was covered if sent back.

Even with the older lower output, the lower powered QSC etc were not a particular issue. And, at least one person who posts here at one point even considered un-doing the mod.

Any shop that wants $180, well, I better just say I wouldn't go to them. Even if it were NOT covered, its an under 1 hour job, IMO.

8. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks, Jerrold. The serial number is D5JDQ50013. I tried another preamp with the QSC and got significantly more output, so I assumed that is was a mismatch between the pre and power amp.

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You could drop one of those cheap little $49 behringer mixers between the pre and the power. I've used this solution to use a pandora as a quick and dirty preamp. Works great.

[​IMG]

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    IIRC the "Q5" code units are the only ones that didn't have the added output.

So you probably DO have one. Service should be able to help you...... Talk to Jm Moon (service manager) he knows what is up with those.

11. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I'll call up service. Thanks again, Jerrold (and everybody else).