1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVP CL + Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goingdownslow, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Do these have any fans in?
    If not, do they get very hot?
    Is it a problem at all?

2. Gothax

Gothax

Apr 22, 2006
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Jim Dunlop strings
    no they don't have fans I guess... no they don't get hot (pre-amp tubes!) no it's not a problem at all..

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They don't have fans, and mine got quite hot! In fact, nearly every device I have owned that used significant voltage to the preamp tubes got quite hot. It's not a problem unless you put something heat-sensitive on top of it (like a digital device). I don't think the SVP itself will have problems from overheating under normal use.

4. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I think you are supposed to leave a gap where the tube 'vents' are on top of the unit.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    My pre doesn't seem to get all that hot. No hotter than anything else. It was a concern of mine as well.

It's certainly not like my SWR SM500. You pull the cord out of that thing at the end of a night and the tip is HOT.

6. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Yes, both the SVPCL (4 tubes) and SVP-PRO (5 tubes) get hot. I lost one SVP-PRO transformer due to overheating (part no longer available, I ended up buying another used one) have a small computer fan on the back of my rack to keep them cool (yes, I use both in my rack).