Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heckxx, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I was just wondering what are some main and subtle differences between the two preamps. And which you all think is better.
  2. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i was looking at both those pre's then i relized i dont have that kind of cash. So im looking at the sansamp RBI. i would get the CL over the pro or even the SVP-BS. i know the CL is more of a basic pre amp minimal controls which is a plus because its less to mess with, its more simplistic than the Pro which has a EQ and other things.

the CL claims to be the same as the original SVT so thats why i would get it, i think it would sound better than the others.
  3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I really like both of them. If I had to pick one, it would be the CL.

The Pro has some advantages - more distortion, EQ (not an advantage to me, but to some,) and probably more varied tonal options.

The CL is quieter (actually, it's just quiet!) and to my ear has a more organic and richer sound.

You definitely can get tones out of the Pro that you can't get out of the CL - and for that matter, you can't reproduce the CL's tone with the Pro.

The CL is expensive and hard to find used since it's so new. On the other hand you can find used Pros for $300 (sometimes less.)

As always, listen to both if you can.
  4. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin

I've had both and agree with the dude 110%. Keep in mind the CL doesn't have an effects loop if that matters to you. And of course don't forget the CL's eye candy:

IMO both truly are great rock 'n roll preamps.
  5. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I do have alot of effects, but right now I just have them all before the amp and they sound fine. Would it be plausible to possibly put effects after the preamp, before the poweramp?
  6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I've bought a number of the Pro's and CL's for customer's and I like the CL as well best.

The Pro has the graphic eq which I never liked. The Classic has a Bass Freq selector which is cool.
  7. I like the classic out of two, it has more simple controls and I found it very easy to dial in a good sound.

if you want another option the Trace Elliot V-type preamp is amazing but very hard to find.
  8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Correct. The SVP-CL is the pre from the 70s version SVT. (OK, minor things because its a pre).