1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVP-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've been looking around for info on this preamp, and it seems to me that everyone says it has a clean vintage Ampeg tone, and it confuses... I would think that it would have the trademark Ampeg grit, which is far from what I would call clean.

Does anyone use one? What do you think of it?

2. I've ordered one but don't expect to receive it until next week. I think what people mean is that some of the recent Ampeg products are a little on the muddy side ( maybe better to call it a slight loss of focus on the original SVT sound ). The SVT-CL uses a 12AX7 and 12AU7 to replacate the signal path of the 12DW7. As a result it's easier to hear the trademark Ampeg grit.

Go to basstasters.com and under preamps there is the SVP-PRO and SVP-CL. When I listened to them I understood what people meant but can't put it into worlds.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I think the SVT's "grit" comes more from the power tubes than the preamp.

I also think the SVP CL is one of Ampeg's best sounding newer products. Its easy to use and definately has the SVT vibe to the tone. IMO the SVP CL had a better tone & more air/presence when compared with my 3 pro (using only the preamp section of the 3).

Using a P- Bass, I could get the SVP CL to growl a little bit if I really dug in, but not nearly as much as my SVT does. I'd say "clean vintage Ampeg tone" is a pretty accurate description of the SVP CL.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Did you try a search?

5. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I sure did, that's where I found everyone saying how clean the tone was.

Thanks for looking out for me though, really.

6. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    I have one. It is clean, but you can choose the low freq and can get that "grit". It is not a huge grit but with some twek you can get closer.

For ex: I use ultra low setting 2 (-3db@30hz), crank the 20hz bass knob up to say 2oclock and med freq knob on setting 4 (1.6khz and the mid freq knob on 2oclock). Tis setting can give that mid range that cut thru the mix. I use a Lakland 55-02 and sometime a EB SR5, but need some tweking, EB SR5 sound more midrange than the Lakland.

I run this SVP-CL with a QSC1202 and Avatar 410B Pro

If you change the low freq set, you can get some cut or boost in the low-low mid area.

Also, this pre is not as hot as say, the SVP-BSP or the SVP-PRO.
    Try it! it is the only way....

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    that was something in the original design that can be easily modified. I dont remember how, but I remember reading about it.

One of the things I used my SVP CL for was direct recording. I'd run it through a Focusrite Voicemaster preamp (for a little cab type sim) and then into pro tools. I was very pleased with the results. Direct recording is where I really noticed that it sounded better to me than my 3 pro (no matter how I eq'd the 3 pro).

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Actually, that won't be an issue now. It was only the first run that was really low output.

Everything since has had a higher output, so anything that you buy will have that original modification (unless your store has an early unit that has been hiding in a corner for two years).

9. Is the output on the present version suitable for use with the poweramp input on a SVT2 non-pro or SVT2Pro. ( considering buying one of these in the future )

At present I have an SVP-CL and DBX 166XL on order. The DBX has an input option of -10dBV or + 4dBV. Which one is the correct option for using with the SVP-CL.

Thanks.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It should work with either SVT... They have a somewhat similar preamp, after all!

And if you can find an SVT-300, that is just the power amp section of an SVT-II.

As far as the DBX, the original output would have been a good match for -10. The boosted output is in between.

It will be a little hotter for the -10, but should work with the +4. I am thinking you have the option of either using a switch, right? Then you can try it and see.

Even the original version would work with a poweramp having sensitivity of 1.5V, which is close to +4dBv, although you had to turn it up more and it was a bit of a stretch.

11. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions.

12. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I have one, and love it. If you're trying to get that nastiness of some of the old SVT's, I'd probably say you're best off going with one of them; I think other's posts that the SVPCL is 'cleaner' is a good description...it is very flexible and to me meets my needs a lot better than my SVT (which I still have).

13. pooch0072

pooch0072

Sep 27, 2005
    Which begs the question, are there any gritty power amps out there!

14. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Power amps aren't about tone - just about amplifying the signal.

I'd play the SVPCL and see if it will meet your needs without pedals, etc. If you like the basic foundation of the rig, you can always add to it. I considered what others had told me/written here about it, and then played it until I felt pretty good about understanding the limits of its tone. I do use a overdrive on a couple parts of a couple tunes, but for the most part at club/concert levels I think [with proper power amp] that you'll totally dig on the tone. I've had more many more positive comments w/ my SPVCL/Schroeder combination than I did using vintage Ampeg gear.

I went w/ the SVP1600 for my rig...making the assumption that it was likely what Ampeg paired the CL up with in design. Hellaciously loud, but pretty heavy.

15. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Why was the original built with a low signal? Was it because it was meant to pair up tonally woth the SVT-1600 power amp, and meant to take "damping" of the 1600 into consideration?

Thanks,

Andy

16. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    The low signal on the early CL's was a design/QC issue that was corrected; but on the other I'm really not close enough to the design/manufacturing process to answer about the 1600. I simply jumped to that conclusion that they were "tonally matched" because the SVPCL and SVP1600 were the only pre/power amp included in the Ampeg pro series line so it makes sense that they were built around each other in the design process. I don't think there was any intentional "padding" of the CL to dampen signal into the 1600. Jerrold Tiers could probably elaborate much better than me on this.

17. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The low output was simply because the basic preamp had low output. The original usage in the SVT didn't need more.

There is and was actually about 9V output available, but the gain was low and made it harder to use less sensitive power amps when combined with passive basses.

Gain was boosted a few DB to deal with that.