Ampeg SVP-Pro below expectations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by submelodic, Sep 13, 2002.

1. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I got a used SVP-Pro preamp and installed new Electro Harmonix tubes. Despite some improvement in sound over the old tubes, it still can't quite get the thick & warm tone I'm looking for, and it's pretty noisy. I expected better from this preamp given what I've read about it. Any suggestions (other that getting rid of it)?
  2. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    What power amp are you using with it?
  3. akonca

Sep 13, 2002
    I`ve just bought the earlier version svt -11p today and having hooked it up to a poweramp its the dogs bollocks, if you`re after a warm fat sound may I suggest you try the sovtek valves which i am told may fit the bill. otherwise i presume you`re still using the same cabs as previously and the poweramp is of reputable make. cheers!
  4. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Anyone else use the SVP-Pro preamp with Eden cabs? If so, what's your impression?
  5. I am.

I'm using an SVP-PRO, a QSC RMX2450 and an Eden 210XLT and 115XL.

Thick and warm isn't how I'd describe it but I wasn't looking for that anyway. I did have to turn the norn in the 210 almost all the way down, though.
  6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    ampeg is more grindy then thick and warm
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    ***raises hand***

I think they make for a great combination, then again, those two things alone don't guarantee a good sound. There's the bass, EQ, strings, etc. The sound of my Spector through this combination is my personal favorite. The sound is really rich when soloed, and in a band situation, I just brighten it up a tad.
  8. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    My Pro is still da bomb!