Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-Pro EQ is solid state?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, May 13, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just picked up an SVP-Pro from a cool dude. Was perusing the manual and it said this:

"GRAPHIC EQ: This switch places the Graphic EQ circuitry in or out of the signal path. ...In the OUT position, there is NO solid state circuitry in the signal path from input to preamp out (in other words, the signal is "pure tubes")."

SO...are they saying the Graphic EQ in the SVP-PRO is solid state? So what are the 4 x 12AX7 and 1 x 12AU7 assigned to? I thought at least the 12AU7 was for the EQ.

Anyone have additional info? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

(btw, I tried it out with my QSC RMX 850 and it ROCKS. I want to sell it to try and get a PLX or other lighter amp though)

-T

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    pretty sure the EQ-assigned tubes are for the shelving EQ knobs

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The GRAPHIC eq is SS, yes........ The low, high, mid, Ultra low Ultra high etc are part of the tube circuitry as usual.

We'd be happy to make an all-tube 9 band graphic EQ in the unit. But I doubt if you would want to carry it, or pay for it....

That would add somewhere around 12 tube sections to the unit...... i.e. probably 6 more tubes.

4. I'd bet ANY graphic or parametric EQ is solid state. Probably many are op amps instead of discrete transistors. And a lot of the "tube" amps use solid state even for the shelving controls. Only tube amp guarantee is the 12ax7 tube is the input stage.

Some old school EQ sections with Ampeg/Fender style tone controls (where controls interact, bass=boost only, mid=cut only, etc) (I think) including (probably) demeter, aguilar, bbemax T, etc are probably tube EQ.

Stuff like Eden, SWR (or anybody with a center detent for "flat" response) is likely solid state EQ.

The more preamp tubes, the more likely you have a tube EQ, or even an all-tube signal path preamp. Got 1 12ax7? probably not.

Not that I mind, I'll stack my Eden Nav (tube input, SS EQ) into a crown K1 class D digital power amp up against anybody's preamp/tube power amp. Tube front end gets you that "tube" sound if/when it overloads a bit, just make sure the rest of the SS signal path doesn't distort and spoil it, you'll get real close to that "tube" sound. without the power tube headaches.

Randy

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    New one, or blackface?

So you're diggin' on it? I actually use mine as a DI, more or less. I use the Pre-EQ DI out into a poweramp. It bypasses all the functions of the front panel (which I left flat anyway), and sounds great. I might switch back to post EQ sometime, but for the past 6 months or so, nothing but straight to the poweramp. Fortunately, my poweramp has a paralell out mode, so if I need a DI signal, I just use it from the power amp.

I've been using the DI out for my main output since I got it, and I've never heard that "hiss" people keep talking about. Frankly, I'm scared to switch over to the 1/4" outs, because thats where the hiss is supposed to come from. I dunno if mine hisses or not from the 1/4", but I've never needed to find out.

6. LOL, I didn't know QSC made tube power amps....

Question: why are you so concerned about all tube signal path in the preamp when you're using a solid state power amp anyway? Or were you just asking, surprised/curious?

I'd leave the graphic disconnected cause I don't like graphic EQs, never heard one that sounded good to me. I'm a parametric man 100%.

Randy

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I basically always leave the graphic on my SVP-Pro off. The tube driven EQs sound so good and are so powerful that the graphic was only useful for a second sound or second bass. Boosting that tube driven mid control on position 1 or 2 is just magic.

8. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just curiousity. And the more tubes in the preamp the merrier, as far as I'm concerned. And when did I say that the QSC had tubes in it? :eyebrow:

I dig it. I dig it a lot actually. It made me think about selling my Mesa M-2000! :eek: Not sure yet, but I might just do it. I love the M-2000 but I'm thinking of moving on. No bad blood though. I just liked the 10 minutes that I've spent with the Ampeg so far. So much so that I think more time spent with it, tweaking to my liking, that I might of found something I like a whole lot.

Mine is the latest looking one. The former owner said he bought it brand new in 2003. And it still looks super new.

I got a question for you though Brendan: You said you run it through the Pre-EQ DI out which bypasses all the functions on the front panel. So if none of the front panel works, you are just controlling EQ from your bass, if even at all? I don't get how you could shape the sound unless it would be on the bass. And if this is so, is there a specific reason why you prefer this rather than getting a nice sounding tube DI box? You got me curious...

-T

9. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good idea! I think if I stick with this preamp that I will have my main sound with just the shelved/tube EQs, and reserve that foot-stompable graphic EQ for a second sound. Kinda like a distortion/overdrive and clean channels. Yeah!

Anyway, thanks Mr. Tiers for the confirmation and everyone for the info so far. Any more info, insight, or experiences would be appreciated!

-T

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From bass, if at all. I leave my basses flat, too. It just sounds good. Give it a go, see what happens. I do have 2 and 3 band EQs on my basses, though (and they're decent basses), so I never worry.

Why no DI? Preparedness, I guess. If the fit hits the shan, I can always go post EQ (like, say a room is just completely unruley or something). Trust me, I've really, really given it a lot of thought. I was goint to sell my Ampeg, and maybe do something like that (apparently they're not "in" right now), but now I'm probably going to keep it around for a while.

11. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    on a side note those new ampeg tube di's look pretty isnteresting/expensive

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Indeed!

13. Just teasing, you seemed so concerned about eliminating anything SS in the signal path, then running the preamp into a QSC, clearly a SS power amp.... :D

Just thought it was ironic or something.

Randy

14. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    More the latter! In the modified words of "The D"...

EXPENSIVO...

Brendan: Regarding your SVP-PRO usage, that is pretty cool dude. I dig it. If you like the sound of your bass pure and simple with flat EQ's, that sounds like a sweet set up PLUS the flexibility to have general (on-bass) EQ control and then even specific (on preamp) EQ control when, as you have inspired me to put it, when the "MC hits the Shan". :D (I will never ever shake the hip hop out of me, no matter how much rock I play :cool: )

I'll give that some thought! My Bongo has a REALLY nice 4 band EQ that is just super smooth and versatile. This maybe the ticket! With a little bit of gain/drive of course...I need that grit and grind too!

-T

15. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hehe, no problemo. Nah, I wasn't overly concerned. I took that quote straight from the manual and didn't know those graphic EQs in most preamps were typically SS. I always thought graphic EQs were assigned one smooth 12AU7 tube to give it more warmth. I'm learning though. Thanks...

-T