Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-Pro Hiss. Any Experience?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by voionmaa, Nov 25, 2002.

1. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Just tried an Ampeg SVP-Pro to replace my pre-amp section of my rig. Noticed a significant hiss even when the volume was off. Is this normal for this unit, or did I try an older model. Have read several reviews and have gotten conflicting results. Also any other suggestion for a good tube pre that will add growl to my Thumb 5?

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Never had a problem.

What are you running it through?
    How's your power source?
    What did you used to use?

3. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Running it through an Eden WT1000 and Genz Benz 410. Have been using a BassPOD as the pre-amp which is signifcantly quieter. Could there be a problem with the tubes or is this an older model that has more hiss?

4. There are only two things that can go wrong with an SVP-PRO.

One of them is sometimes the solder joints on the edge of the circuit board need to be resoldered. This will cause hum at least and no sound at most. I talked to an Ampeg tech that says he's fixed quite a few of these. Quality control on later preamps might be a bit better.

The other thing that can go wrong with them is tubes. Any strange noise the amp makes can be caused by a tube going bad. If a knob falls off the face of the amp a failing tube probably caused it. Scratched paint on the faceplate? Tubes. 1/4" plug doesn't fit securely in the jack? You guessed it.

My SVP-PRO is connected to a QSC RMX2450. Pretty huge amp with the gain turned all the way up. I get a little bit of hiss but it's inaudible more than about 15 feet away in a quiet room.

If you want tube tone with a solid state power amp you're not gonna do much better than an SVP-PRO. Some people prefer Aguilar, Alembic or Demeter if you're interested in other preamps.

5. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanks for the help. I used to have an Aguilar DB659 but it was way Tooooo clean for my taste. Really trying to get something more grity. Haven't been able to try Alembic, Demeter etc. I'm playing pretty heavy rock and thought an Ampeg pre might do the trick. Liked the sound but the hiss is much greater than the BassPOD. Anyone have any other suggestions for that Grity sound or is this it and I just live with the hiss? Only have the WT1000 turned up half way and the SVP-Pro main volume was at 9 O'Clock. So not pushing the gain structure.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Is the bright switched pushed in or any high eq bands cranked up? Or are you running it flat when this hiss happens? Maybe you just want to turn your tweeter down :)

7. I run my QSC with the gain all the way up and the SVP-PRO at like 8:00 when I'm practicing alone and 12:00 for rehearsal or performance. Hiss isn't a factor - I'd check tubes. Turning the horn down is a good idea also.

It's not gonna be as quiet as a Pod - the Pod is a solid state device.

8. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    As far as tube pre-amps go, is the SVP-Pro pretty quiet? Does anyone gate the tube pre's or do you just let them go? the hiss I'm getting is even when the volume is all the way down which is why I was wondering if it was the unit. Any other suggestions on geting that grity sound or is this the best?

9. I don't gate mine.

If you want to see if it's the preamp, unplug the bass. If the hiss goes away it was the bass or the cord.

If not, unplug the preamp from the power amp. If the hiss goes away it was the preamp.

SVP-PROs hiss a little bit. If you want good sound you need good tubes. A lot of people are raving about Sovtek 12AX7LPS these days - I'm using plain old EH 12AX7s in mine and although the tone could probably be a bit better I have no complaints.

If you want lotsa grit swap the SVP-PRO out for an SVP-BSP. I've owned both and the PRO meets my needs a little better but I'm a bit of a stickler for clean tone with just a hint of overdrive. If you want that sand in a blender sound, get the Sheehan preamp.