1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVP-Pro into SVT-4Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by isher1992, Mar 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I have an SVT-4 that I use for clean. I used to use a clean and dirty sansamp into a 2-channel power amp, but ended up scoring a deal on the SVT-4 and always wanted one.

Now I've seen an SVP-Pro come up, and it looks like the preamp of an SVT-4 that will actually overdrive nicely. Would it work into one of the power amp inputs of the SVT-4 if I split the signal before hand? I'd basically run a split, and use the SVT-4 clean and the SVP driven. Then use a compressor with both of those. I'm curious if this is doable, as I love the sounds of driven SVT's, but the 4 just doesn't seem to be conducive to that.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, the 4 Pro excels more at clean sounds and you really have to crank the gain past 3:00 to get any OD out of it. Sounds freaking wonderful, though! Not sure how you would hook it up, but I'm pretty sure it's doable.

3. When I pushed the gain that high, it started distorting the power section and MOSFET power clipping doesn't sound that nice.

I think if I used something like a BOSS LS-2 and split signal from my board to each preamp, and just the output from the SVP into a power amp input on the 4, while using the effects loop on both preamps for the compressor, I would basically have a clean and dirty SVT in one SVT.

I knew the 4 was better for clean stuff getting it, I wanted that but I find myself missing having a clean and dirty amp channel like I had with the two SansAmp's. It just seemed to really fill out the sound. When I use my overdrive, it works and keeps the low end, but feels like it masks a lot of the sound.