Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-PRO Noisy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Nov 8, 2005.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Hi all, SVP users, is this preamp noisy?

I read at harmony central a lot of complaints about noise.

I am in the process of getting that one or a BBE T max

thanks

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A little, but not really a problem at all in a live rig. May drive you nuts when recording.

3. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    thanks! what about the BBE TMAX? I play hard rock metal, I need a little of midrange, etc!!

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The good things about the SVP-Pro are the very useful and flexible EQ, and the FAT, juicy tone. I wouldn't let a little noise scare you away. A BMax is a cleaner, simpler preamp that I think might leave you a little cold in a metal setting. Love my SVP.

5. Mine is dead quiet, although I've heard the opposite from many people here (a search will reveal this). The lack of a ground lift can be a problem in live settings though at times, I can't figure out why they wouldn't have put one in.

6. Never used one, however, the noisyness of the SVP Pro could maybe be to poor quality stock tubes? Stick some decent ones in there and it could be a blast :)

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The SVT-3Pro I once owned had noise issues. But my SVP-Pro is extremely quiet.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My quiet SVP-Pro was retubed by the previous owner. My noisy SVT3Pro was brand new with stock tubes. That doesn't necessarily mean anything... but it might!

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I had a new unopened svp-pro that buzzed. Not just a hiss but a very loud buzz. I tried new tubes and such with no change. I took it back but it did have a great tone.

jmo, but I think some are fine, some have hiss and a few of them have a buzz, like mine. Try it out if you can, its a nice sounding pre.

10. I know, was just a theory, stock tubes are seldom very good these days :)

11. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    hey guys!! thanks, Im still looking for the Ampeg SVP, but I was also looking into BBE TBMAX.

will see

12. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Hey pickles, what do you mean by "I think might leave you a little cold in a metal setting"

thanks.

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That pre is modeled after the fender showman/alembic F1-X type circuit ... it will sound good, but gets more of a clean, clear tone. Actually, now that I think of it, there were a couple of tones I could get out of the F1-X that were downright nasty ... but it'd be a love or hate proposition.

Theres an SVP-Pro in the classifieds for $300 shipped right now ... thats an insane deal, I'm tempted to buy it myself for a backup.

14. +1 for new tubes. Bought one a couple months back for $175 from a guy who couldn't stand the noise. Most of the tubes were "Made in China" & were noisy as hell with the master anything past 10 O'clock position. All new EHs & it's quiet as can be. I primarily use it for recording.