Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-Pro or.......?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kiwiboy, Mar 6, 2005.

1. I’m looking to try and pick up a used preamp, and I really don’t want to spend more than about $300(US). The SVP-Pro looks pretty cool right now - I play mostly jazz/fusion/rock/pop.... ok yeah pretty much anything :D , so id really like a pre' to be versatile. Can anyone suggest anything in the same vein? Keeping in mind I am on a pretty strict budget. Thanks. Oh and would i be a complete idot to neglect a power conditioner for the short term? :meh:

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    in terms of the power conditioner, they are definitely not mandatory. if you are worried about surges then you can just get a regular surge protector strip. save your money and spend it towards your pre/power setup if you're on a budget.

3. I used the SVP Pro for years, and was very happy with it. Then I ended up trying an RBI, and found it much better for my tastes. Still very thick, but with better presence; not as "tubby" as the SVP. Also, the overdrive was more controllable and smoother on the RBI. Used, they go for about $225, although even new they're in your price range. Just for full disclosure, I've since moved onto an Alembic F-1X, which is even fatter yet, but I still keep the RBI in the rack for grind when needed.