1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVP-Pro or.......?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kiwiboy, Mar 6, 2005.

1. I’m looking to try and pick up a used preamp, and I really don’t want to spend more than about $300(US). The SVP-Pro looks pretty cool right now - I play mostly jazz/fusion/rock/pop.... ok yeah pretty much anything :D , so id really like a pre' to be versatile. Can anyone suggest anything in the same vein? Keeping in mind I am on a pretty strict budget. Thanks. Oh and would i be a complete idot to neglect a power conditioner for the short term? :meh:

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    in terms of the power conditioner, they are definitely not mandatory. if you are worried about surges then you can just get a regular surge protector strip. save your money and spend it towards your pre/power setup if you're on a budget.

3. I used the SVP Pro for years, and was very happy with it. Then I ended up trying an RBI, and found it much better for my tastes. Still very thick, but with better presence; not as "tubby" as the SVP. Also, the overdrive was more controllable and smoother on the RBI. Used, they go for about $225, although even new they're in your price range. Just for full disclosure, I've since moved onto an Alembic F-1X, which is even fatter yet, but I still keep the RBI in the rack for grind when needed.