Ampeg SVP-PRO over Demeter HBP-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Classic5, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Well, after much research I had my heart set on the Demeter, but I just had a read of some SVP-PRO threads and my mind is changing once again.

SVP-PRO seems a very simple, practical, no nonsense unit at a pretty good price.

It's got all the features I will ever need and I'm sure it would cover rock, funk and R&B quite well.

Am I missing something here?

I can't try either of them so I'm going on other user comments and specs.

I assume Ampeg is solid and reliable?

I think I'll go with the Ampeg unless someone here convinces me otherwise.:rolleyes:

And that's not difficult these days:)
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Those two preamps sound totally different. The Demeter is very HiFi while the Ampeg sounds like an Ampeg (IMO a bit muddy but great for vintagesounds). Ive had several Ampegheads break down on me so I would go with the Demeter.
    What kind of sound are you looking for?
  3. zoran

May 10, 2002
    ampeg preamp is twice cheaper than demeter in europe.
  4. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm looking for a good rock sound, with the flexibility to funk it up. I've read some good threads about the SVP-PRO preamp - most users love the rock sound it gets by overdriving the tubes, and the footswitch can kick in the EQ for a totally different sound.

I know the Demeter is more expensive but does that alone mean its better? I like the Demeter a lot but then I've found no bad comments about the Ampeg and it just seems so simple a well laid out.
    The comment about the Ampeg breaking down has however put some doubt in my mind.

Wish I could try them out - that would solve the problem. But unfortunately no one sells them in Australia and I'm going to have to order direct from the US. Preamp / poweramp setups are just too expensive for the stores to stock here!

Decisions, decisions.

:mad: :D
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

the HBP-1 is gonna be your bass in all its hifi glory. nothing to really muck with its inherent tone. the Ampeg's gonna inbue your bass tone with alot of that Ampegness. i dunno if the Ampeg is muddy in of itself, but then again, anything compared to the hifi HBP-1's tone is gonna seem muddy.

since you're in Aussieland, it might better to get the Ampeg since i'm sure there are more authorized Ampeg repair shops near you.
  6. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Ok Joker, I get the feeling you might be having a go at me here? The proximity of repair shops is a consideration, but I would hope it wouldn't break down in the first place.

I'm feel myself starting to drift back to the Demeter camp again.

Hey Zoran, did you try the Demeter before you bought the Glockenklang? Any particular reason why you chose the other?
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i owned a hpb1 and didnt like it at all. they guy i sold it to digs it though. personally i couldnt figure out what all the demeter hubub was about. maybe im weird.
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    If a 'good rock sound' is what you're after, the svp fills that role quite nicely IMO.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    huh? nah, no diggin' here, just tryin' to be fer reals. :D:D

if you gig as hard as i do, customer service and support that's easy to reach is a big must. god forbid, you'd have anything break down on you, but just in case, its nice to know you can take it to someone, and have it back the next gigging day.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <a href=""><b>CLICK HERE</b></a>

I've been using Ampeg gear for about 6 years now & I've never had to do any repair work except for a new set of tubes in my SVT II-PRO.

I mainly use the SVP-PRO w/my SVP-1500 & I cansay thay my sound is anything but muddy. It depends how you eq it. you can make anything sound "muddy" if you try.
  11. Hey, if you are after solid rock sound, choose Ampeg. People often discuss, that they colour your sound a bit, but it does not have to be inevitably mistake. I would go for Ampeg beeing in your place. Well, to be honest, I was in similar situation 5 months back and chose Warwick Quadruplet over the Ampeg (which i also recomend you, but in Australia it would be probly much more expensive), but just because I have wanted more hifi nad transparent sound (I am trying to play jazz) to support my Wick Thumb BO V and I come from Europe and service issue is here in favor of Warwick.
    Anyway, good luck.

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I got the SVP-Pro for two reasons:
    1 - great variety in the tone selection
    2 - price
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have the Demeter VTBP-201s. It gives me the best sound I have ever had. It covers "rock, funk and R&B quite well." It is a "simple, practical, no nonsense unit". Every bass I own sounds great through it, even the cheap ones. I will never get rid of mine. I love it.
  14. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I would not call the ampeg muddy at all, I would call it thick.

Rock- got it
    Metal- got it
    Funk-got it
    Blues- got it
    HI-FI - dont got it and wont get it.

I love my svp and its great for all of the things I do but it wont get that hi-fi sound which is fine with me because I dont want it. Its all about what sound your going for. I have never haad any trouble with reliability.
  15. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks for the comments guys.

There was always going to be differing opinions on this type of issue.

In summary however it sounds liks SVP-PRO would do the job well for rock, funk and R&B but for US$200 more, the Demeter does what the Ampeg does with a bit more versatility.

Oh well, maybe its worth spending the extra cash on this one.:rolleyes:
  16. What is Hi-fi Sound?
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    High Fidelity.
    Very Accurate.
    Clean reproduction of the original signal.
  18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Have you considered the SWR I.O.D.? That's what I'll be getting when I get my power amp.
  19. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    How long have you had the 201s?
    Has it been trouble-free?
  20. Yet another SVP-Pro User/Abuser. I love mine. take a pic of the SVP-pro...but the glare obscures the settings man :D

We should have a "Show a pic of your SVP-Pro settings". Seems to be a lot of the "Cool guys" (I am definetly not there) using the Pro's