Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-PRO & power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dimi_did, Feb 17, 2005.

1. dimi_did

dimi_did

Feb 17, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Hello everybody!
    It's my first thread!

I will buy the preamp Ampeg SVP-PRO. And I seek a power amp for works with this preamp.
    But I have too many questions.

I am interested by the power amps QSC RMX1450 and Crest CPX1500 but I wanted to know if the output level of the SVP-PRO is sufficient for functioning well with these power amps? Did somebody already use this configuration? You think it's a good preamp / poweramp combination ?
    Which from these two power amp do you advise me?

Can you say me if these stereo power amp can function, without being bridged, with only one enclosure thus connected with a channel without anything? That could pose a problem or not? Because most of the time I will connect only one enclosure of 8 Ohm.

P.S. excuse to me my bad English... :bag:

Thank you by advance.
    dimi_did

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    check out my profile

my amp gets scary loud (i just love having the extra juice, which i never use)

if you can, get a PLX rather than the RMX (the PLX is much lighter)

3. dimi_did

dimi_did

Feb 17, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    thank you for your answer. Do you always use two enclosures connected on your power amp or you play also with only one enclosure? Yes I know that series PLX is lighter but that is more expensive! You are really content with the marriage of sound to "Ampeg Please-Pro + QSC RMX1450"?

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the ampeg is noisy, hissy and hummy, but it's being worked on as we speak...have you looked at the new CL preamp? i heard it's really good

5. dimi_did

dimi_did

Feb 17, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    I selected Ampeg SVT-PRO also because it has a switch to pass from 110 to 220 Volts. As that I could buy it in the USA and to use it in Europe. Neither SVP-CL nor SVP-BSP have this possibility.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i see your point

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    However, there are European versions of those. For example, I have a -BSP. I had a -Pro, but I got rid of it and kept the -BSP. The Pro was just to noisy/hissy, newer clean and smooth enough.

I would look into other power-amps, as well.
    The RMX is very good, but heavy.
    I've heard some not-so-good things about the Crest CPX... do a search and you may find it.
    I have a Crown XLS 402 II, while it's got a nice sound and is not heavy, and can be had for a good price (I got mine for ~€340), unfortunately both fans are on all the time, which makes it noisy for low volumes.

8. dimi_did

dimi_did

Feb 17, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Yes indeed there is European version here but in France Ampeg SVP-PRO costs 1250 $ and in the the USA only 500 $. It is for that they is more advantageous to buy its material in the USA but the majority of material are adapted only for 110 Volts!

The power Amp Crest CPX1500 has in more a crossover which makes it possible to use it out of Bi-amp. Is it really a good thing? Did somebody of you already use that ?

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use a Carvin DCM1000 with my SVP-Pro, and it works fine. I'm not sure about their availability in Europe, but it's served me well for the past few years.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Not quite true.....

The capability to use on 100/120/220/230/240 exists, but is not a direct switch accessed from outside. Wires inside get moved.

Many Ampeg units, and many other brands as well, can be "switched" to 230 etc by an internal re-connection without changing any parts except maybe a fuse etc.

External switches are a "target" for the safety agencies, like UL, VDE, etc.

If you can switch voltages from outside, they want to test the units when plugged into the highest voltage, while set for the lowest. Generally a pain in the rear.

If you don't have a switch, then they don't get excited about that. So you will be seeing fewer switches in future. That does not mean the unit cannot be used on another voltage, it simply means that the unit must be opened by a technician to change.

11. In French now:

Salut Dimi,

J'utilise le SVP-CL avec un QSC PLX 1202. Excellent mise a part le manque de gain en sortie du CL. T'es oblige de pousser le QSC.
    Oui, le PLX est bien plus leger et si tu as les moyens (SVP-PRO a $1250! j'y crois pas) ca vaut le coup.
    Et oui, au moins avec le QSC PLX, tu peux ne connecter qu'un seul canal. Chose que tu ne peux pas faire avec un ampli a tube.
    Bref, utilise le PM si tu veux plus d'info.

Back to english:

Was just saying that I am using the SVP-CL with QSC PLX. And besides the lack of output level of the CL this rig is great.
    The weight of the PLX is worth the investment IMHO.
    Finally, yes, you can connect only one channel, at least on the PLX.
    Use private email for more info in French... don't want to piss people off here...

;)

12. dimi_did

dimi_did

Feb 17, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    A technician from Ampeg! It is very good! I have some questions to pose to you...
    1) Do you have a schematics of the line voltage wiring configurations for to pass the Ampeg SVP-CL preamp from 110 Volts to 220 volts ? And for the Ampeg SVT-3Pro ?
    2) I looking for the technical parameters of the Ampeg's preamp. I don't find it on the website of Ampeg.
    Could you, please, give me the output level (+dBu) and the output sensitivity (Volts RMS) of the Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp ?
    Thank you by advance.

13. dimi_did

dimi_did

Feb 17, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    :hyper: Ouaouh ! Tu parles bien français toi ! Tu l'as appris à l'école ?
    Thank you for its information. What do you call IMHO?
    I received an e-mail of the engineering department of QSC which says to me: "The RMX (and any QSC amplifier) functions fine if using only one channel and not in bridge mono mode. There is no problem if one channel is not connected." Thus it is very well!

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

I use an SVP-Pro with a Stewart World 2.1 amp. I'm extremely happy with this combination. The previous owner had retubed the SVP-Pro, and it's pretty darn quiet... much quieter than the SVT-3Pro that I owned that had never been retubed.

I wouldn't call my SVP-Pro squeaky clean, but that's not really the Ampeg sound anyway... I use mine for warmth and punch and (sometimes) a bit of grit. But I can also run it pretty clean when I want to.

15. Je suis francais, resident en Californie... merci pour le compliment!
    ;)