Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP Pro Preamp . . . Noisy???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevinlane, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I just got an SVP pro pre. I'm not used to tubes so this is an experiment for me. It sounds pretty good but the noise floor is excessive!!! Is this just what you normally get with tubes or hav I got a used lemon?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've heard of many people having this problem with the SVP-Pro, run a search for it, you'll see that you're not alone. I believe some people have fixed the problem (or at least lowered the amount of noice significantly) by replacing certain tubes, although I'm not sure exactly. Hopefully someone who has more experience with this problem will come along and explain it to you in greater detail.

3. Mine does it too. It's a problem, but some people get good ones, so not many people think it's a problem.

If it's really bad, I'd have it fixed under warranty. It's just one of the quirks of the preamp.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Kevin,

Nope, it's not what you normally get with tubes. It just appears to be what you get a new SVP-PRO these days. I tried one out a few months ago, had the same problem you had and returned it. Since then, I tried out Demeter, Aguilar, Kern, Alembic and Warwick preamps - all tube based and totally quiet.

I think I read here that it can be reduced by leaving it on for 24 hours or so. Apparently after that the hissing reduces significantly. Can anyone confirm this?

Either way, it's not something Ampeg mention in the manual and it really doesn't make for a good 'out of the box' impression. I'm sure there are plenty more people like me who returned an SVP-PRO due to the hiss. If they're saving a few bucks per unit on the tubes, it could well be costing them more in less units sold due to returns if that's the cause of the hiss. Of course, I'm conjecturing here.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I replaced the tubes in mine and it had absolutely no effect at all. However, because of its high output, I've found you can just turn down the gain on the power amp and get enough volume out of it, anyway. Hmmm. I'll have to try the ol' 24 hour power-on trick. That'd be cool if it works!

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I wonder if the 24-hour trick will work with my SVT3Pro? That one sometimes has hissy fits on me. Won't hurt to try, I suppose!

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I suppose I should search to find the source of my '24 hour trick' recommendation. I'm sure I read it here, and it had something to do with 'burning in' the tubes. I'm not a tube expert, so that could well be bogus info.

Edit: I've just searched here, and can't find a thread with this info in it so I must have been haluccinating or I saw it elsewhere. apologies.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    balanced (with two notches instead of one on the 1/4" plugs) cables did the trick for me... i then changed the tubes anyway to get a juicier vintage tone... now it is very sweet!!!

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I had one, and sold it two weeks later. I think that should tell you all you need to know.
    I think part of the problem was the old wring in the church I play in. I have a lot better luck with a battery powered preamp/direct box like the Fishman Pro EQ. It does every thing I need it to.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    One thing about the SVP, tho: I love the tone! Man, that sucker is a rocker!!!

11. I've gotta agree with you there. I just picked one up, and it has a sweet tone.

12. One question: Do you SVP owners have to push in the low boost to get it to sound good? Mine sounds like crap with it out, but since it's there, i can make it sound good.

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I run my compressor w/noise gate between the SVP and the power amp (i.e., not in the effects loop). The noise gate eliminates the noise when I'm not playing. And I've got the settings a certain way so I don't hear noise while I'm playing (preamp master all the way up, preamp gain about half way, power amp gain 3/4 of the way up). Works for me. The tone is very aggressive sounding to me. Great for rock and metal.

To get a smoother tone, I turn down the mid-range and treble, and use more compression.

14. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    Davy0 -- i always leave the low boost in on mine. i find the same thing...without it, it's kind of lacking, but with it in, i can get a great tone.

what are everyone's settings on their svp's? mine are:

gain: 12 o'clock
    low boost: in
    bright switch: in
    drive: off
    bass: 2 o'clock
    mid: 1 o'clock
    mid selector: 2
    treble: 1 or 2 o'clock
    high boost: off
    eq: boost low mids, and high mids (almost an "m" shape...but i'm still messing around with it)

15. Cool, glad I'm not alone.

Low boost in
    No bright/hi (doesn't do much)
    Drive: off
    bass: 1 o'clock
    mid: 3 o'clock
    mid selector: 2
    treble: 1 o'clock
    eq: havn't figured it out yet-has potential.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW:

I tried the 24 hour trick with my SVT3Pro... 36 hours in this case... and the hissing seems to have been reduced dramatically. Random/intermittent events being what they are, this doesn't necessarily prove anything... for all I know the noise will reappear. But I've used the amp three times since trying the trick and have heard barely a peep.