Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg svp pro problems?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lessthancool, Nov 25, 2002.

1. i am running an active ibanez five string through an ampeg svp pro through a carvin dcm600 through an ampeg 6x10

my problem, is that it my power amp is clipping at low volumes.

i know that i have everything hooked up right. i believe that the 600 bridged watts i am getting from the carvin should be plenty. i've played the same cab with a hartke 3500 and had plenty of volume.

its not just clipping out at low volumes either - i can barely set any of the eqs anything above flat at all or it clips. - it basically sounds like the speakers are farting out.

the power amp is brand new, and so is the cab. the preamp i got off ebay, so i figure that is the most likely problem.

if anyone could give me any ideas of what to try or what they think it could be, that would be awesome.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How are the eq setting on your bass?

3. lows are cut and highs are flat

4. If you have anything in the signal chain besides your bass, the preamp, power amp and speaker cabinet, take it out. You want a clean signal.

It might be a stupid question, but when's the last time you changed the battery in your bass?

If that doesn't work, try this stuff -

1. Is it possible the signal's just too hot for the amp? (set the bass flat, turn the bass down, turn the gain down and/or hit the pad switch) If you're overdriving the preamp you'll see a red light next to the gain control when you're playing.

2. Turn the drive control down.

3. If that's not it I'd suspect a bad tube or two. Get a known good 12AX7 and test it in each socket - or just retube the amp. You can use a 12AX7 in socket #4 for testing if you don't crank the drive control. That socket should have a 12AU7 in it - it has a bit lower gain than a 12AX7. It's the second socket from the right.

4. Another problem specific to SVP-PROs is bad solder joints on the edge of the circuit board but this usually causes hum, not distortion.

5. Call Ampeg (800.738.7563) and ask them where the nearest tech to your house is.

edit: Ampeg products (except speakers) are covered by a five-year transferable warranty. Tubes are only covered for 90 days. You need the original purchase receipt if you can get it from the seller. If not, I'd call SLM (the Ampeg service guys, give them the serial number and ask if the amp is still under warranty).

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    TRy getting a user's manual for the SVP PRo if you don't have one. Is your bass active? If so, make sure you have the input padded.

Also try this...hook up the cab into one channel and set it for stereo mode, drop the gain down all the way, put your PA power settings to about 1/2, turn the volume on the pre to about 25%, then ease up on the gain very slightly.

Try this also on the other PA channel.

If everything sounds fine, and you get good volume in stereo mode, you may not have your amp configured correctly for mono operation.

YOu may want to call Carvin customer service and verify your settings and connections.

Good luck.

6. Great idea, ZuluFunk. I've seen about three people trying to use off-the-shelf speakon cables on bridged power amps in the past couple weeks.

7. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I would also guess it's either the jumper settings on the amp or a Speakon issue. You may be using a Speakon connecter that is configured for stereo rather than bridge mode.

8. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    when using a speakon to 1/4, all you have to do is rewire the speakon plug +1/+2, and it's all set for bridged mode right? then you just set the switches on the amp correctly...right? that's what i did with my speakon and qsc rmx, and i'm getting a terrible distortion at high volumes. i also got this setup to replace a hartke 3500, and so far, i'm a bit dissappointed.

i asked some people on harmonycentral.com about it, and they said to retube it, seeing as how it's five years old and has the original tubes in it. i'm going to try that first. i actually started thinking about maybe selling it and getting a sansamp rbi. but i'll probably retube it first.

should i also try using banana clips, or the binding posts instead of the speakon? or do i have it right how it is now?

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    It wouldn't hurt. At least you could rule out the speakons as the problem. I use bananas and they work fine for me. I thought the speakons were only easier to use and less likely to fall out. Maybe there's some other benefit I don't know of, but I'd rather just keep it simple.

10. Fix the Ampeg - IMO going from an SVP-PRO to a SansAmp is a pretty giant step backward.

<dons fireproof suit>

11. thanks for the suggestions....

i'm not using the banana to speakon cable anymore because thats what i used at first and it distorts even more than just a 1/4" to 1/4"

my bass is active, but i know the battery is good - i check it often...

i will definitly try some of these suggestions, and i will post my findings

thanks guys

wait - what are the jumper settings on my amp??