Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-Pro Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 19, 2003.

1. I'm replacing the tubes in my SVP, and I want to be absolutely clear on which one is the au7. (Right now they're all ax7s because service centers don't pay attention to silly things like replacing tubes with the same type they took out)

I think that when looking at it from the top with the front panel facing you, it's the 4th one from the left.

12X 12X 12X 12U 12X

Is this correct?

Thanks!

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I may be wrong but weren't there 3 generations of this preamp, differentiated by the front panel colors and graphics? Didn't one of them have all 12AX7's?

3. Well, I don't remember ampeg usuing anything but black and grey ever. The one they took out, however, was a 12U7-they gave it back, so i do need a U7 in one of the slots.

4. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    Davy0 -- you are correct with that order. i ordered some NOS beijing 12ax7's from lord valve. they sound pretty good. i am however thinking of getting some 12ax7EH's because i've heard that russian tubes are alittle warmer.

5. Cool! Thanks. That's what I did. Chinese AX7s from lord valve. (ordered today) I was surprised, the guy knows where annadale is!

6. For the people who have changed to different tubes in their SVP-PRO.....

Please post your thoughts!

7. Apart from the cosmetic change from black to grey, Ampeg changed the D.I. to a transformer at some point. My "original" black face SVP-PRO has the solid state D.I. circuit.

Anyone have any idea what if any difference the transformer makes? FWIW, I think the D.I. on mine sounds fine.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    got me some chinese 12ax7 nos's from lord valve. cut out the noise and became very vintage svt-sounding considering the SS power amp i use it in conjunction with... and yes, the 4th from the left was the 12au7... ;) best $50 i ever spent for musical equipment!