Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP-PRO valves

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dood, Feb 2, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Hi ya all.. I have been looking for a thread where I think one or two of you had mentioned what valves would be good for said preamp.

I have opened mine up, after thinking the tone was strangled, hissy and lifeless to find some oh so yummy ..ah ha.. not.. China made valves.

I PM'd Ampeg Insider earlier, but I thought I would throw the vote open,

I'm lookin to revalve with so very low noise great sounding valves. Any recommendations?

Cheers all!

Dan :bassist:

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump, i'm curious as well

3. You could try either Lord Valve or Jack Read for information on different tube brands. I know Lord Valve sells tubes and I think Jack does also. The Groove Tubes website used to have a good page describing the tonal characteristics of various tubes in the 12*** series. I haven't visited their site in quite a while so I don't know if it is still there.

Rick B.

4. I've always be partial to JJ's.

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I mailed a guy in the UK he has suggested Harma, or Phillips NOS 12AX7WA.

I'm gonna call him for more details

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I replied to your message....

But since you are in UK, TAD is a good brand for tested tubes...with a range of gains etc. They are out of Germany, with good EU distribution.

It's also possible that you have a problem with the unit. Something like low filament voltage, etc, which I could see being described as "strangled" sounding. Pretty hard to diagnose over the internet....you could have it checked out.

7. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Thank you Jerrold. I appreciate your time. yes, I guess it may be a good idea to get it checked out.

Cheers

Dan

8. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Actually Jerrold, Something that occured to me, I have schematics for an SVT3 and ,my SVT2 pro. They have test point voltages on them. I would like to find out the test point voltages for the SVP.. Are you able to lay your hands on this kinda information? , I could test my SVP with not a great deal of difficulty. I have test gear and am qualified.

9. I retubed my old SVP-Pro with the Electro Harmonix 12AX7's which were released a couple of yers ago. They sounded great, got rid of a lot of noise, and actually increased the gain structure (which may or good or bad, depending on your tastes). They should be readily availabe all over.

10. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    ah, cool man, that sounds good! I'm just about to let Ampeg Insider know that I have managed to source the Schematic Diagrams, so I can test my SVP before getting some new valves..