Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg SVP-PRO vs SVP-CL...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 30, 2005.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    What ampeg preamp would you buy? SVP-PRO or SVP-CL?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Neither. I ditched my -Pro for a -BSP. I prefer some clean tones and less noise...

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the Pros have had a history of noisy-ness....or is it noisiness?

my CL is extremely quiet.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I love my SVPCL! Sounds great with the ultra low off (pos.1) and all the knobs at 12 oclock.

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass

I'm guessing this is to do with the stock valves? I have an SVP & yes it can be a bit hissy..

Can anyone give any advice on great sounding 'low hiss' valves for these?

6. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    *bump*

7. I just got an SVPCL this past friday and I absolutely love it. It has an incredible, super phat tone and is dead quiet. I bought it brand new and I have one question though--What do you guys usually run the gain and master at on your pre?? My gain is at almost 3/4 and my master is about 2/3-3/4 of the way up. That is with an active Peavey Cirrus and and the pad button out. I'm running it with a QSC RMX850 into an Ampeg SVT410HLF. Does that mean that I got one with the issues that were in the first few production runs and need to take it in to get the issue resolved??

Ampeg Insider--Is it true that if I do have to take it in to get the issue resolved that Ampeg will cover it since it was a defect?? Thanks and I absolutely love this new pre.

8. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I run mine with the gain and master at 3/4 the way up, even after having the output "mod" done to it. The difference is that I can run my RMX1450 at 12 o'clock now instead of wide open like I did before the mod to get the same volume level.

If yours is in fact an early production model, the mod will be covered 100% under warranty as long as you have the original sales receipt. PM Ampeg Insider with your serial number and he should be able to tell you if you need the mod or not.

9. Thanks Bro. Definitely gonna PM him about that. I guess I just got used to the sensitivity of my BMax which has a very hot gain. I couldn't turn that thing past 4 without it goin' berserk.

10. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Don't worry, I felt the same way when I made the switch from an SVP-Pro to the -CL.

I've noticed that the gain and master pots really get sensitive once they hit the 3/4 mark and beyond on the CL. A little adjustment goes a long way when you're up that high.

11. "Can anyone give any advice on great sounding 'low hiss' valves for these?"

electro harmonix

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    In all fairness, it was the older, Red and Blue faced ones that had an issue with noise because of a wiring issue that was discontinued with the present grey-faced model.

Like dep1974, I was one of the first TB'ers to own and operate an SVP-CL--I've posted exhaustively on it elsewhere. I was also the first person to own an SLM-"modded" version in which the output voltage was increase to better match the power amp I was using (a mod which will be standard soon, if it isn't already). I installed NOS Phillips tubes that Lord Valve recommended. I REALLY wanted to love it. In the end, though, I didn't.

I think the SVP-Pro is an all-around better preamp choice because of the flexibility of having an EQ. The SVP-CL was "okay" but if you want that sound, I think it's WAY better to go ahead and get an all-tube SVT-CL head. Unless you're going to mate the SVP-CL with a QSC PLX series amp (in which case either the pre or the amp will need modding to work together) you're going to be hauling a rack close to the SVT in weight ANYWAY. The price will also be damn close. And in the end, nothing else really copies that interaction between the preamp and power amp tubes.

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    You've got the two extreme ends of the spectrum. The BMAX is the most insanely hot preamp on the market. The SVP-CL is the most gain shy--at least until the modded ones come out.

If AmpegInsider does come on here, I'd be sort of curious to know whether a full product recall to do the mod has been considered. There can't be THAT many units out there on the market right now, can there? Maybe 50-75?

14. Coco'

Coco'

Apr 24, 2001
    Milano, Italy
    Where's ampeginsider gone? :meh:

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    He's using his real name as his handle now.
    Jarrold Tiers

16. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yep, I'm still here, but cleverly changed to my actual name to baffle my enemies.........

The tube deal is an on-going issue.

There have been sources that were unreliable. We have had poor yield of premium tubes even from some normally good sources, with the suspicion that there had been some "cherry-picking" of the lot for premium tubes.

We have had tubes run through testing at a "very popular" source to test and qualify them for more sensitive applications (like SVP-PRO front end) and STILL had problems.

Some tubes apparently tend to change over time, or during shipping, getting microphonic, hissy, or "leaky" so that they hum, even if they originally tested good. Plus,the consistency of "tested" tubes among the various sources isn't what it should be....actual specifications on noise amount and type are often lacking.

I expect some improvements upcoming as far as tubes are concerned. There are some manufacturing changes occurring at the tube companies, among other things.

And yes, older SVP-PRO are the most prone to troubles.

17. Coco'

Coco'

Apr 24, 2001
    Milano, Italy
    Great to see you back Jerrold. And yes, my svp-cl tubes got microphonics during shipping...

18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i don't know much about the CL series , but i really like my PRO .{ matched with my RMX2450 , weight is an issue ...}
    the EQ section adds alot to the sound , but i can just turn it off , or run it flat , if i want a louder , more straight ahead sound.

bought my PRO used , and it has been modified { with new tubes } and hissing or unwanted noise has never been a problem .