1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVP-Pro Weak DI Output?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChrisB2, May 21, 2011.

1. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I've been running an SVP-Pro for a few years now. I joined a new band recently and send a post-EQ signal to the board using the XLR balanced output on the SVP-Pro. The sound guy for my new band has been complaining that he's getting a weak signal.

I did a search and found a few comments regarding this, but thought I would ask...

Is it common for this pre to send a somewhat low level DI signal? If so I can run it into another DI to boost it... or maybe there's a problem with the pre...?

2. I don't have experience with the Pro but I had the CL. With your DI set to post you are obviously controlling the output with your pre so if it's too weak the thing to do is turn down your power amp gain and turn up your preamp gain.

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Does it have a level control pot for the XLR out? I had a soundguy tell me once that my 2-PRO was sending a very weak XLR signal to the board, but after turning the XLR level wide open he said it was perfect.

4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    MuzikMan, yes, this is the method I'm using but I have to nearly max everything on the pre to get the signal strength he wants.

NKB, no there's no level control for the XLR out.

... :help:

I guess it's time to stick some type of boost pedal in the chain...

5. I'm surprised you're having difficulty. I'm wondering if the problem is on the PA end. The next thing to try on your end is switching your DI to pre instead of post. If that doesn't work then try a different DI.