1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG SVP-PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbass_5, Oct 18, 2013.

1. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Looking for anyone with an SVP-PRO in their possession that isnt working. I need the power transformer from one to repair my own and would like to purchase your non working unit for parts. Thanks

2. jazzbass_5 likes this.
  3. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

4. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    No luck there, still looking for a parts SVP-PRO if anyone has one, Thanks.

5. Some comments from other TB conversations:

hodgy: The SVP-Pro transformer. Part description is 12VA PC MT XFMR Ampeg PN is 94-027-31, Manufacturer PN is EQ-378-A-X, made by Transformer Mfrs., Inc. in Norridge, IL. We don't have any stocked, so try TMI- contact phone # is 708-457-1200.

jerrold: See if LS Electronics has any SVP-Pro transformers.... they bought some Loud excess stock a few years ago.
    The high voltage winding is the problem.... the other windings are reasonably standard.

Evidently they are proprietary parts, with a unique high voltage winding.

6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I think it is a bit sad when Ampeg does not stock a vital spare part to such a unique product as the SVP, especially since they offer no corresponding product in their portfolio nowadays. Maybe we pre/power amp amp guys are too few to keep the market segment alive.
    Or maybe not? I know that EBS stopped making their nice rackmount preamp for "political" reasons. They stopped making their poweramps and then felt they should not offer the pre anymore. Maybe Ampeg had similar thoughts? I have very little to no interest in buying the Ampeg SS and hybrids but a preamp would be high on my list.

7. FWIW, hodgy just got promoted into tech support at Ampeg.
    My understanding is none of the preamps sold in sufficient volume to warrant keeping the line alive.
    That aside, the lack of spare parts is a glaring issue. Especially proprietary parts like the above transformer.

My SVP-Pro is fully functional, but will most likely go up for sale now that I have my Sansamp RPM.

8. Was the SVP-Pro ever a LOUD Tech/Ampeg product? I thought they were a SLM/Ampeg. Just because someone buys the name does not mean they will continue to support what someone else made.

9. Gwardar

Gwardar Supporting Member

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    Sorry to hear about your issues.

Perhaps somebody can verify this, but I'm reasonably sure there were a few different versions of SVP-Pro having different transformers.

Pretty sure there was a toroidal version, while mine has an EI transformer. So I guess this further complicates things.

Have you looked into having the Tr rewound? May be easier, I'm sure there are shops that can do this.

10. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    This is one reason I almost decided to cut my losses on my SVP-Pro. I did decide to send it to a tech only because it sounded so damn good when it was right........:bassist:

11. Indeed.
    That is a legal (and common) way for companies to get out of warranty and/or parts support.

12. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    It's been a while since I've posted here, been using my SVP-CL and now an SCR-DI, but I miss my SVP-PRO so just a recap and update. The main transformer in my SVP-PRO preamp died, the HV primary or secondary opened and I have no juice to my tubes anymore. I've done more research and spoke with John Nau (Rochester area tube amp guru) and all he could recommend was maybe I could make a hybrid wall wart style power supply for it. Although that's possible, I'd really like to return this preamp to its original glory. Sooo, anyone out there have any ideas?

13. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    You won't like hearing this, but most corporations only have a 5 year supply of parts on hand for discontinued amps on hand. This I heard from the rep of a company I did authorized service work for. If they run thru that stock faster than figured, we'll, it happens and we as consumers are SOL. The SVP -PROs were a SLM product, and since LOUD bought out SLM they aren't required to keep back stock on hand. Crap happens and we have to deal with it. Sooner or later everything dies and you won't be able to buy parts to fix it.

Just look online and buy someone else's SVP-PRO. There have to be others out there.

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  14. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    You could always send off your dead transformer to Mercury Magnetics and they could clone you one. But that will probably set you back the price of a used SVP preamp.

15. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion

Yeah, that crossed my mind. Even looking for another used one at this point because of price.
    Thanks though for the reply

16. iplay5

iplay5

Jun 12, 2009
    OC
    Well, if you are still looking for a SVP Pro, I have one with a scratchy pot. It acts up sometimes while playing.
    I might be interested in a trade for your SCR DI and some cash for my SVP-PRO.