Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg svp-pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mangle, Feb 6, 2003.

1. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    any comments about this preamp? wich poweramp could be a good match for it?
    thank u all

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    check out my profile - other then my cab, my rig sounds and feels great

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    mangle,

This is one of the most widely used preamps at TalkBass. Do a search and you will learn alot.

People generally like the tone, but have problems with noise. I haven't used mine long enough to have a well-rounded opinion yet. I can let you know in a couple of weeks...:)

4. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    hey, thanx! I just found a tread about it...

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm surprised how much people have to say about noise from the unit, I've never had a problem with it. I've also never used the DI for an actual recording or live situation, so maybe it's the DI they're complaining about, I don't know.

The unit itself is pretty quiet though. I never get any noise through my rig unless it's related to a poorly shielded control cavity, etc.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Seamus,

I've asked this question in another tread, but let me ask you. How do you have it hooked up to your power amp? Do balanced cables make a difference? What is your secret?

As I mentioned in the other thread...mine is dead silent if I use the XLR balanced out jack, but if I use the preamp out 1/4" jack I get some noise. I don't think it's the tubes because I have new EH tubes. Thanks!

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, that's why I'm so curious about the noise people are getting. I'm just using some decent patch cables, nothing fancy, and not balanced. I'm running the two preamp outs into channel 1 and 2 inputs of my power amp, then running the power amp in stereo mode. I don't get any discernable noise from the preamp as far as I can tell.

As you mentioned, I do tend to think people have noisy tubes in there sometimes, but the EH's are pretty quiet IMO. I can say however that the stock tubes Ampeg had in there were quite noisy when I first received the unit. Once I switched those out for something decent, the tube noise dropped out completely.

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks,

I haven't tried stereo mode with two inputs yet. So far these are the setups I've tried:

1) XLR balanced out to XLR of the QSC running in parallel input mode (which is like stereo with only one input)

2) 1/4" preamp out to 1/4 jack of QSC using a high quality monster balanced patch cable in parallel mode.

I will keep fooling with it I guess...

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, the XLR out in parallel mode sounds like a pretty robust solution if you are getting more noise using a TRS to TRS connection.

I just wish I knew why so many people seem to have noise issues with these units. Makes me wonder about engineering or quality control flaws that may be inherent to this model, and how such flaws might affect the overall MTBF in the long run.

They do offer a 5 year warranty though, so if all else fails, maybe Ampeg could have someone take a look into this for you? I thought I read somewhere that the warranty is transferrable, but I really couldn't say for sure. At any rate, best of luck with eliminating any excess noise from the unit.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Mine is older than 5 years. The thing with the XLR is that I lose a lot of volume. The thing is dead silent though. That makes me wonder if there is just a certain way to connect it that will elimate noise.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried out a brand new one of these recently, courtesy of Musicians Fiend. The top end was very hissy with treble in center position. This happened whether I was using 1/4" or XLR out.
    I'm a big Ampeg fan, my last amp was the B100R combo before upgrading to pre/power/cab setup. I liked the sound of the SVP-PRO, but the hiss was maddening.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    It's such a shame too, because without the noise, this would be the PERFECT preamp for me.

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    mine was hissy so i switched to balanced cables and voila it was whisper quiet. i also retubed to get a more vintage sound out of it. it gets very svt-like with my qsc... it's definitely a keeper. i paid $350 new, plus $50 for the new tubes... not a bad deal at all if you ask me! :eek:

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i may be stupid, but can you explain? balanced from the 1/4 inch to the power amp?

15. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Don't forget that there are many factors that come into play when you're talking about noise; EQ settings, FX, power source, cheap active pre's, frequency response of your cab, etc., etc. Each situation is unique. My amp (not an SVP) is dead silent into a 1x15 cab, but into my 310, I have to work with the EQ and tweeter knob to keep the noise down.

16. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yes, 1/4" out of the preamp into the 1/4' inputs of my power amp. i got some custom made 2' cables made by my friend and they took all the hum out...

regular microphone cable (xlr to 1/4") will work if your power amp has xlr inputs, mine does and that's how i tried it with a 6 footer before having them made. you may lose some signal if the cord is too long though. if not you can find them in most stores, they have two bare notches on the 1/4" prong instead of just one like unbalanced instrument cable...

17. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah...but this is not the usual 'too much treble, tweeter on full' kind of noise.

I'm using a new Avatar cab, no tweeter, various eq settings (none make a difference), high quality cables, no FX, and my on board pre sounds fine through my other amp.

If anything, it could be cold solder joints, but that is just a guess based on what I've read. I really don't think it is bad tubes.

18. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    mind you, several people HAVE changed their tubes with less noisy results... are they still the stock tubes? because mine were all different makes, but more importantly, none were matched up on my firend's tube-meter... maybe time for a talk with good old lord valve...

19. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    It was retubed with EH tubes 4 months ago. I may take it in somewhere so I can have someone more knowledgeable take a look. Thanks.