Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP vs. Alembic F1-X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jun 21, 2002.

1. What are your thoughts on either pre-amp?

I've researched each amp pretty heavily, and from the reviews, bassists who use them (no, I'm not into player-worship, but I get a good idea of the tone), and my own preferences, I've found that these two amps are best suited for me.

So could you identify the tonal characteristics of each, how they sit in the mix, your opinions, how reliable each is, your experiences with them, etc. etc.

Also, I'll be using a 4x10 cab with a Paul Reed Smith Bass (jazz-type, lots of mids) and a Precision.

Thanks

jamey

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    wish i could help you out.. i have one of those, the SVP

I love it.. it can be warm, or distorted, or grindy... or gritty... the footswithable EQ and mute are great to have around. I don't think it can get a super clean Hi-FI sound, but it does all forms of distortion well.
    but that's only the one side.

Goodluck
    Brian.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My rehearsal rig is an Ampeg SVTIIIPro (the preamp of which is very similar to the SVP) and I've been a long-time user of the Alembic F2B preamp, the EQ of which is very similar to the F1X.

IMO, both are fine units. The Ampeg has a lot of EQ which I really don't need (the graphic) but it is voiced so that it can provide "the Ampeg tone"... whether this is good or not depends on your taste. It's no replacement for a vintage SVT, but still gives you the vibe, with enough flexibility so you aren't locked into one tone.

The Alembic preamp is pretty basic, but ultra-quiet and ultra-clean... but if you juice it up a bit, you can get nice tube warmth richness. I personally prefer the Alembic, somewhat because the build quality is superior, but mostly because I think it sounds better.... it better enhances the natural tone of the bass. But again, I think both are fine... if my main rig went down I'd be happy using the SVTIIIPro for gigs.

4. Thanks for the info.

Let me clarify the type of sound I'm looking for:

I'm definitely going for a warm sound and midrangey sound, as long as its not too muddy... I like just enough highs to where there's articulation and no mud... but I don't want to hear the clank or finger noise. And I want lows, but I don't want a muddy sound. And I'd like the sound to be slightly overdriven.

5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've had an F-1X for several months now, and it sounds like what you want except for the overdriven part. I get a very warm and articulate tone and the EQ seems quite flexible but I don't mess with it too much. It has a Bright switch and a Deep switch. The bright I don't ever use and the deep seems more like a mid cut to get that modern slap tone; don't use that much either. I play mainly fingerstyle, but I'm competent slapping and the sound of this preamp set flat is great for both styles. I chose between the SVP-Pro and the F-1X mainly based on online reviews but chose the Alembic based on reports of its construction and Alembic's reputation. I paid 395.00 used, in mint condition, and I've been very happy with it. Besides my bass, it's the one piece of gear I don't ever plan on replacing. Try both if you can and then decide. BTW, I saw one for 385.00 shipped on bassgear.com or harmony central's ads today. Don't remember which- good luck on whatever you decide:p