Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVPCL and tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just got a mint used Ampeg SVPCL and love it. It gives me my sound and I dont have to struggle to get it like I had to with my SWR IOD. But I just opened it up to have a look at the tubes. The Ampeg site states that this is supposed to have two 12AX7´s and two 12AU7´s but mine has four GT 12AX7C´s. How is this possible? Will it hurt or affect the preamp in any way? Or is there a misprint on Ampegs site?

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just spoke to the original owner and he has never even opened the preamp. So the tubes in it are the ones Ampeg put there. Is it a quality control issue? :meh:

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'll give this thread a bump and maybe Ampeg Insider will come along with the answer. BTW I should be getting my SVPCL Monday and I can't wait to hear it.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I was hoping for Mr Ampeg insider to come to the rescue.
    I also wonder in which tubesockets the 12au7´s should sit. They are labeled as 1, 2, 3 and 4 inside the preamp but there is nothing about tube type.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    jock,
    hope you don't mind if I add a couple of questions for when Ampeg Insider comes along.
    Q#1. Do you know if the units shipping now have been upgraded for the volume concerns in previoud threads?

Q#2. I plan on putting my SVTCL on top of my B4r in a 4 space rack. Will I have a problem with the SVTCL over heating since I run my amp mono bridge. It gets pretty hot.
    I thought I saw a thread about this happening but haven't been able to find it by doing a search. Do you suggest maybe a 6 space amp rack so there is some space between the amp and the pre amp?

btw. answer jock's question first since it's his thread. :D

6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    I thought the SVP-CL (not SVT-CL) was quite new, like 6 months or so? Read that here, so it must be true.

If you have a mint used SVP-CL, someone must not have liked it at all..............sold it that fast...........

Maybe you ought to confirm the "SVP" vs "SVT" issue, since the SVT-CL is a complete amp, but the SVP-CL is a preamp only.....otherwise any advice you get might be pretty confusing......

7. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    :eyebrow: :rollno: I just ordered and paid for one. First thing I'm going to do is open that baby and see what's in there. What's the volume problem you were talking about cb56? Doods, I'm really looking forward to this thing. I hope nothing's wrong with them. So far, until now, everything I've heard has been real positive. hmmm...
    dD

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It´s the new preamp and not the big tubehead.

It still sounds soooo good. Dont worry. Putting in the wrong tube might be quite easy in a big production factory like Ampeg´s.

9. Well considering there were only 4 tubes and they were all of the preamp variety...

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've heard mostly positive things also. If it sounds anything close to an early 70's SVT I'll be thrilled. The volume problem I refered to is from this thread...
    SVPCL thread
    Not a major concern from what I understand.
    Fed Ex says mine will be here tomorrow :hyper:

11. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Make sure you put on your :cool: before staring into the glowing logo!

Hopefully the modifications have been implemented at the factory. The output is much lower than my old SVP-Pro, but the tone is IMO much more vintagey that the -Pro. I've had mine since July and am 99.99% pleased with it. The .01% displeasure comes from the low output, so right now it's at the tech having the mod done to it which will be covered under warranty per Ampeg. Very cool of them to do that! I should have it back in a few days and I'll post with my opinions.

Enjoy yours when it arrives tomorrow!

12. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    As an avid SVTCL fan, I'm *very* happy with the SVPCL/Crest combo.

I believe the SVPCL is more "70's SVT" than the pre in the SVTCL head (like that's not confusing.)

Either way, I like it.

...and my unit has no prob with having enough output (got it last week from MF.)

13. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    Yo cb56, be sure to let us know how the SVP-CL is when you get yours today. I've still got to wait until the week after this week from GC. I ordered it last Friday and they said a week to 12 days for it to arrive. I'm hoping it's closer to the 7 days than the 12. heh heh (I'm like a kid :hyper: at Christmas) Oh! and thanx Dude for the review. That's reassuring now.
    <smiles> dD

14. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Am I the only one whohave looked at what tubes are in the SVPCL??? The change to only 12ax7´s might be to compensate for the low output??? :confused:

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yes, the SVP-CL is supposed to have 2 12AU7 in it. We would be *very interested* if the wrong ones were installed.

If it turns out that is indeed the case, please PM or email me the serial number at your earliest convenience.

A question: What color does the logo in yours light up?

If it stays white, you likely have at least one wrong tube.

If it changes, you should be set up correctly with the right ones.

The reason I ask isn't because I think you can't read....it is because the tube supplier could have fouled up the labeling on some tubes.

The logo changes color when the tube currents are in "warmed-up" condition. The 12AX7 and 12AU7 have sufficiently different currents in the circuit that the 12AX7 shouldn't trigger the "warmed-up" indication if it is wrongly installed.

16. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Interesting. I wondered why my logo was glowing white all the time and not green like the pictures I´ve seen. The tubes are all marked GT 12AX7C. I´ll PM you my serial number in a few minutes.
    Thanks a lot for charing your knowledge here. Really easy to get help this way.

17. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    BTW Im going to buy new tubes later this week. Where should the 12au7´s sit?

18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I talked to the product manager, and we would like to get you the right tubes, if you will PM me with address information etc.

19. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Wow now that is some good customer service!!!

20. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OK, keep in mind I know very little about tubes and tube amps. My previous amps have been SS ampeg amps. My only experience with tubes has been owning an SVT3Pro for about 2 weeks (I hated it) could not get a clean sound out of it no matter what. I also played a borrowed early 70's SVT twice in gigging situation. Loved it but don't ever want to carry one around.
    I had this hairbrained idea of running the SVTCL through the effects loop of my B4r and blending the B4r's ss pre amp with the tube pre amp. After playing the SVPCL straight into the power amp I dropped that idea of blending the two. This pre amp sounds great. I can get a nice clean attack that sounds warmer and bigger than my SS Ampeg. No annoying distortion. Maybe a little grind but no fuzzz. I see this as a positive. you may see this as a negative.

It was nearly impossible to get a bad tone out of it IMO. I played both my G&L L2500 and my Fender Jazz V with J retro through my SVT410he and SVT 15e. Also tried it with my 2 Bag End 15 cabs both set ups sounded great but I noticed a big improvement in the way my Bag End 15s setup sounded with this pre amp over the way they sounded with the SS pre of my B4r. Does it sound like a 70's SVT? I dunno. I'll leave that up to those of you who actually own one. Does it do a pretty good imitation? I'd say Hell yes!.

Don't know if mine has been modified to boost the volume or not but I can tell you I don't need for it to put out any more volume. It's also pretty noise free. Not alot of hiss or snap,crackle ,pop.
    I'm giving it 2 thumbs up.