Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVPCL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Couldn't find much about the new SVPCL in the archives. Has anyone here played through one? Is Musician's Friend the only retailer that has them in stock?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm curious as to this as well. i wonder how it goes up next to my svp-pro?

here's a bump for you..

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I think you will find that it will eat the SVP-Pro for lunch, depending on how much you like older Ampeg equipment.....

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how so?

right now (as always) if you barely tap my rack you will get a very loud "snap, crackle and pop". does this happen with the new CL?

is there the hum issue with the new unit?

how else does it differ?

BTW - does the logo on the face plate really light up??? :D

5. It wouldn't have to do much to eat mine for lunch. I just put it in the shop to get the hum issue corrected.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    does yours happen to have the snap, crackle pop issue (bad solders or tube issues?)?

when i took my SVP back to the store i bought it from, they didn't know what to do. they wanted to send it to Ampeg, but i told them forget it, i'll just deal with it...

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I really want to get one of these!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

8. Ampeg Insider, do you know if these units have shipped? Not much information out there yet. Musician's Friend is the only place I'm able to find them for sale. (MF lists them as in stock, but that doesn't always mean they are.)

9. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    A store in my area has one (Dietze Music in Lincoln, NE).

10. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    A store by me has one as well. The front logo does light up and then changes colors from blue to green.

Larry Morgan Music in Garland, Tx

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I must be lucky. I bought a 2nd hand SVP-PRO & I have NO issues at all with this preamp.

I would like to try out the SVPCL, though.

12. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    This pre amp looks very promising. As soon as I can get my dirty hands on it, I will!

13. No mine started out kinda noisy with a lot of hum. I didn't mind it that much as I was doing mostly bar band work. Last week I hooked it back up and the hum was just too loud to be useful. I'm guessing it's a tube. Anyway It's in the shop now.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  15. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Let's get some reviews posted on this thing!!! I've seen at least one person post saying they had one . . .

I think the burning question is, does it have the SVP-Pro's noise issues? Too bad that has to be the first question on everyone's mind, but . . .

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th this

:D

17. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Well the one that is local to me didnt have any noise issues, although I wasnt playing super loud, more like bedroom volumes. It sounded really thick to me. I didnt have a lot of time to mess around with it but it seemed pretty cool

18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Well, how does one answer that?

Neither one is SUPPOSED to have noise issues..........Any SVP-PRO that does/did has a problem.

That said, the SVP-CL is a different animal.

Preamp is different, not like the "SVT-CL", it is the vintage structure. (I wish they had managed to find a different name than "CL", because it's confusing).

There is a different transformer in the SVP-CL, which should improve any hum issues that the different preamp hasn't eliminated by design.

I suggest trying one. They are out in stores, but I don't know exactly who has some now.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    what do you think the problem is? mine had issues right when i bought it; i just dealt with it. i did a search on TB and quite a few owners had issues as well - hum and snap,crackle & pop problems

:confused:

20. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    everyone talks about the noise issues with the svp pro's and i'm on my second one now, and i haven't had any noise issues. the only reason i sold my first one was to try out a mesa 400+, and then i went back to the svp. both have been solid. maybe i'm real lucky?