Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SvpPro Preamp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeat33, Feb 17, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    I've been reading more and more reviews of the ampeg svppro preamp saying that it hisses and is noisy, does anyone have any experience with this and know how to control it? the reason I'm wanting to get this preamp is b/c ive played a svt3pro and liked the way it sounded. there is not many music stores around me that carry good quality equipment so i either have to buy blindly, go with what other people say or what i have played when im out of town... If this is a true problem of the svppro then does anyone have other suggestions of preamps for the same price range? i play in a rock band, we have harder songs and softer songs and i basically want a good all around tone preamp.

hope you can help me out.

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Mine was dead quiet.

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I have a 2nd hand 2000 model. It needs new valves, so is hissy.. and suffers from mains hum. not loads, but enough to notice at living room volumes.

I have been advised to spend on some superior valves as they *will* improve matters greatly.

I tried an old set of valves I have, and they improved the quality of tone no end.. they are about 4 years old, from my well gigged SVT2pro. The set that were in the SVP turned out to be.. um, lets say 'unpopular' in audiophile circles!!

bbzzzzz...fizzzzz!!!

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I think that replacing the tube can reduce the hiss.... but I'm no pro with tube equipment... :confused:

Someone on here should have the goods on that... :cool:

5. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    does anybody have any other suggestions for a good sounding preamp in the $500 range... just looking for more options.

6. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    I've owned two SVP-Pro preamps, one I sold for reasons I don't remember and the one I'm playing now. Neither one of them had a hiss problem at all. I guess for the amount of dudes who've said they hiss, it must be true, but not all of them because mine never did.