Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVR 212 - Any experience/thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Las Olas, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hi all

I'm thinking of getting this Ampeg 2x12 for smaller pub gigs. I've seen it second hand and a reasonable price - £135.

I've found info very scarce to come by - I've visited the Ampeg site and message board with little success. It has a 3u rackmount on top, and something about speakers facing back AND forward ( :confused: )

I'd be most appreciative if anyone could post experiences, etc - even a photo would be fantastic.

Regards

Mike

2. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I've got an SVR-212. You're right--front and rear facing speakers, front ported, w/ a tweeter, and built like a tank. When I bought mine, one of the speakers were blown and the crossover was gutted from it, so I picked it up fairly cheap. I'd call it's tone "low and smooth", very warm that fills a small room very well. From what I've found they were made for a few years around 1990. Was also sold as the DD-12 which included an SVT-III head. Ampeg also made an SVR-215/DD-15 variant during this time. It was discontinued because of low sales.

Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks Mike! Can you explain to me a little about why the speakers are set up that way?

Many thanks

Mike

4. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    From what I was told, high powered combos were still rare back in the late 80s. This cab, when paired with the original SVT-III head (350w @ 4ohms), brought that concept to the table. The speakers were set up that way mainly to keep the size of the cab small.

5. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I see. It just seems faintly ridiculous - i mean, isnt one of the speakers then just a bit useless? throwing out bass sound behind the stage seems a bit silly. Although I suppose, might be useful for the drummer...

Many thanks

Mike

6. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Yeah, sort of. My drummer does love it when i use this cab. I've found that it sounds best when I place it about 10" from a wall. The drawback? Playing a stage without a wall behind you. It gets lost.

7. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Ah well. It's at £135 second hand, which seems a fairly nice deal. Think I'll pick it up anyway.

Many thanks for your help!

Regards

Mike

8. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Mind as well--it does have it's useful situations. And if you don't like it you should be able to get most or all your cash out of it!

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Definately. Well, I think I should sign off for the night.
    Many thanks for all your help - much appreciated. It's so good to know I can come to TB and have my questions answered so quickly and helpfully.

Kind regards

Mike

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Actually, not.

The rear speaker is crossed over (when the crossover hasn't been "gutted" from it).

Since lows are very non-directional when a small speaker like a 12" is used, the direction is pretty unimportant, UNLESS the speaker is "shared" between highs and lows, as the front one is.

The back one adds lows, both by increased area and by lower impedance. And, it tends to EQ the lows up a little because they go to both speakers, but low-mid and up go just to the front.

That cab is ported. The other DD cabinets w/o the rack slots were not ported, sealed cabs, with heavy-duty cast frame. They would stand almost anything, power-wise....and were loud enough too. A bridged 4-PRO was no problem, and EQing up lows would not cause it to "fart out".

11. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Thanks for clarifying the details AI! Sure wish I could get my hands on a crossover unit for my SVR cab. I'd for sure then get the speaker reconed and get this baby back in service.

AI: Not to derail the thread, but my SVP-CL pre is now in my tech's hands having the output boost "mod" done to it. Can't wait to get it back and give it a run. Thanks for the info you've provided here in the forums the last few months regarding this. The 1% of disappointment concerning it will finally be gone.

12. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Ampeg insider - I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to this game. Could you explain that as if to a layman?

Many thanks

Mike

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Mike...bassPlayer magazine did a review of both the 2-12 and 2-15 cabs, sometime back in the 90's. I have the article at home somewhere. I could scan it for you is you are interested. Just give me a week or so as I am out of town right now.

14. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    BMC - that would be great, and much appreciated!

mikemcgibney (at) gmail.com

Cheers

Mike

15. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Just a little bump for Ampeg Insider - hoping he can explain a little more to me re. the crossover.

Regards

Mike

16. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I am not sure what to explain.....

In any case, the rear speaker is active at lows, and rolled off above the low end, so that it won't blast you, the drummer (no matter how much he deserves it) , etc with non-useful sound.

Generally lows are non-directional, because the speaker is so small with respect to the wavelength of sound. At 100Hz, the sound wave is roughly 10 feet (about 3m) long. Down at 50 Hz, 20 feet (6 m) (and longer at lower frequencies).

A little 12" speaker won't "aim" sound in that range. A 4-10 will start to have some "aiming" capability around 100 hz.

So lows from a rear speaker still contribute useful sound. But at higher frequencies they do not, so the rear speaker is rolled off.

The cabinets were a little too "odd" to get accepted, and weren't made for long.

17. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

18. Woodsy2k

Woodsy2k

Nov 2, 2015
    In case anyone is still interested, I have one of these great Ampeg 2x12 combo's. Bought it new at the time, and still have it. They are a brilliant amp and speaker combo with a full and loud sound. Mid to High frequency's are directed to the front facing speaker which is coupled with a Tweeter, and Mid to Low frequency's are directed to the rear facing speaker. The cab is meant to be situated approx 5 feet or so in front of the back wall of the stage. This way, all the Bass end from the Rear speaker is bounced off the wall and thrown out to blend with the upper frequencies from the front speaker so as to create a much bigger sound from the small sized cab that it is. A little cab with a big sound ! It has a 3 rack unit space in the cab to hold the Amp (which is 2 unit sized) and a 1 unit sized accessory. A Rack mount Tuner or whatever you may want to use. Only quibble I have is that it is fairly heavy and takes 2 to carry it comfortably. It has never let me down since I got it. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone !