Ampeg SVR-212 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeyvr6, Sep 13, 2003.

1. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I just picked up one of these pretty cheap--anyone have any experience with this cab? Info on it is pretty sparse on the web, but it's a ported 2x12 & tweeter w/ 3 rack spaces on top, 400W @ 4ohms. The strange thing about it is one 12 fires out the front and the other 12 is out the rear.
    Excuse the Peavey amp, I grabbed a spare off our PA to try it out with my B3 combo:
    The previous owner screwed with the tweeter wiring and the rear speaker needs to be reconed, but even so it sounds fantastic with the B3 on top. I'll probably end up selling off the combo and pick up a SVT3 or B2R and drop it in for a nice compact rig, seeing as my band is playing smaller venues that don't require our full PA. The serial number dates it to 1990--anyone ever run one of these?

2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I've got the SVR-215 and it rocks! (I like my Glockenklang 212 better though...)

I bought mine used and all I could find out was that those cabs were built around 1992 for a short time only. According to a review of the SVR-215 I found in a German magazine the backfiring speaker is working below 150Hz or so only - a frequency range were sound spreads omnidirectional - same thing as with ports.

I like the cab because of the 'optical understatement': it looks like a 115 but is quite a bit beefier :D