1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-1000.......Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barkatozz, May 7, 2006.

1. Anybody have one? I know they are fairly new and was thinking about getting one. My current head (Fender Bassman 800) just isn't working for me & the high notes don't cut through the mix at all.

2. nope GK user here , From what Ive seen its a loud head but not really the 1000 watts it says it is .. Id recommend getting it used if you really want that cool svt look .

3. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    It's not worth the money.. I'd get a tube pre-amp SVT 3 or 6... SVT should have a tube sound... not all ss.

4. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Hey dude, the svt-1000 is a great amp with plenty of push, but if you want a good warm ampeg signature sound then you gotta get an ampeg with a tube pre-amp or at least buy a tube pre-amp and run it through the svt-1000 in the future when you get more money... I do it... I have an svt-3 pro and a svt-1000 and an ampeg pre-amp... I say go for it... You can always buy a tube pre-amp....

5. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    That Fender should be cutting thru just fine. It has a great EQ. If you like it's stand-alone tone, I wouldn't give up on it just yet. I'd start over, flat, EQing to the room you're in. Hard to remain un-biased about the sound, though. If that doesn't work for you, pay attention to the guitar mix. Maybe there is too much bass in there. Alternatively, maybe add a higher voiced cab to it to get the full 1200w out of it.

6. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I just listened to your band.. sound like good ol' rock n' roll / hard rock music which would really benefit from the Ampeg tube sound.. If you can at all swing it.. get the SVT2 .. that failing, get an SVT3 with a 4x10 Ampeg cab, and I'm sure you'll cut right thru for an indoor venue like a put or bar... You're playing with not one, but two guitars, so you're going to have to be louder than anyone of them alone.

7. My cab is currently a SVT610HLF. I haven't totally given up on the Fender yet.....I try some things at this week's gig & see if I can't get it to cut through a bit more. The bottom end kicks major ass but I play quite a few "jam" songs that allow me to go off a bit & I like to solo high up the neck. One song in particular.."The Real Me" is played quite a bit up high but for the most part it can't totally be heard properly.

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

In that case I would take a hard look at your EQ.
    Are you scooping the mids? If so, go back to flat and
    tweak in a little more on the mids. Then push your volume
    up so the bass is where you are used to it. Then you should
    have a bit more available on the mids when you need them.

You can roll off the mids slightly with your bass setup, but
    you have to have them there so you can call on them when
    needed without stepping up to the amp. And the mids is
    where you cut through the mix. Without them, no cut through.

I am not familiar with the 6x10, though iirc it has a horn.
    Be sure you don't have the horn turned down or off it you
    want some highs in there.