1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-150H hiss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paganjack, Sep 20, 2008.

1. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just picked up an Ampeg SVT-150H. Now, I have a GK amp, which i usually love, but I sometimes wonder about the other end of the tone spectrum, ampeg. also, this doubles as/ was originally designed as? a guitar head. can't hurt to have an extra one of those about. i found this on CL and snagged it on a whim.

I really dig the tone- it sounds remarkably tubey and warm for an SS head. Definitely a decent 'Ampeg' tone. So that's cool. It's kinda loud [It's 150W @ 4 ohms, and ???@ 8 ohms. maybe 75-100?] i'm using my neo112/212 cabs since that's all i've got. they actually sound pretty good.

But it's hissy. At all frequency levels. I can EQ out a lot of it but anywhere over like 30% volume there is a noticeable hiss. It doesn't seem to matter if i have less gain/full master or hi gain/less master. It's very pronounced on the top 6 bands of the 9-band EQ. The louder the amp, the hissier the signal. My bass's input seems to make no difference.

So, is there anything I can do to fix this, or at least lessen its effect?
    I figure taking it to a tech would be the best option, but is there a quick n dirty that I could do it? I don't want to incur a huge tech repair bill. I've considered opening it up and blowing some canned air through it. Would that make a difference?
    I'm no engineer but I'm not unfamiliar with electronics, just don't entirely know what i should do first. What would be the best way to isolate the problem?

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    well this problem seemed to fix itself. it seems that my input jack was a little loose. it's working now...the amp also puts out the proper output. it was way quieter before because of a bad connection the input jack, so i had to turn it up way high to get any signal. now that it's seated i don't have to crank the volume to get loud enough. i thought it was just quiet since it was like that when i tried it. der....:meh:

in any case i guess i made a good decision in buying it! For $75 it's a ridiculously sweet amp!! fixing an input jack will be easy, if necessary!

3. DUB1976

DUB1976 Guest

Nov 13, 2015
    I have one of these and love them! Paid $75 for it too