Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-1510HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Feb 9, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Anyone have any experience with this cab? I did a search and found a few threads but no real info.

If you're not familiar, it has a 15, a 10 and a tweeter kind of like the SWR Triad and was made in the mid '90s.

How is it efficiency wise? The amp that I have in mind for it is an Acoustic 450...about 150 watts or so (albeit '70s watts). Probably only used at home but maybe small gigs.

What is it's general voice...modernish, rockish...???

Thanks!

2. There may have been more than one model like that... I had one w a 10, a 15, and no tweeter for a while.

I can't speak for the efficiency as I the other cab I had at the time was a 4 ohm Triad, and the Ampeg 8 Ohms (therefore drawing diff power loads).

It didn't have a tweeter so I wouldn't call the tone "modern". It did have a good rock sound, a little boomier than a regular 4x10 with just a little more punch than a 2x15.... well, more punch than a simalarly built 2x15.

I only got rid of it 'cause at the time I was into the cleaner SWR sound and changed all my gear over...

3. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I have the 1832he. It's bigger and weighs more than the 1540, but both supposedly work the same way.... full range cabs. I've been very happy with mine. Harmony Central had some reviews on the 1540. All were very positive. You should check that out.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks...the harmony central cab is a 1540...4x10T on the top, 1x15 on the bottom...same size as an 810. The cabinet that I'm asking about is the 1510HE...1x15, a single 10 and a tweeter...about 27 by 24 by 16 inches overall.

I'm looking for a cabinet for my old Acoustic 450 head. I was thinking about building a cabinet with a ported 15 in the bottom and a guitar 12 in a sealed chamber up top crossed over at 200 Hz or something. Looking for kind of an old school '70s grindy bass cabinet but with some low end beef...kind of Squire-ish (I think that he used Sunn 6x12s then...now he uses a Marshall and SVTs).

I tried the Ampeg cabinet out with an old Sunn Concert Bass head that sounded pretty good but the amp had some issues...