Ampeg SVT 18 or 4-10 HLF...or both?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan the Lorp, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Dan the Lorp

Dan the Lorp

Aug 30, 2005
    NW Florida
    I'm new here so I hope this isn't a redundent question (though I checked the first several pages and saw nothing similar). Here is the deal:

I currently use a Carvin 1000 Redline amp, with a blown 15 and working 4-10. I tested the Ampeg SVT 18 in a store and was impressed. It shook the walls, and seemed to have the kind of deep, powerful, low-end that I seek. Not muddy, fairly well defined for an 18 inch speaker. Then I started to read rave reviews about the deep bass capabilities of the SVT 4-10 HLF. My questions are these:

Would I be better to go with the 4-10 HLF over the SVT18? I am looking at playing in some smaller clubs, where a good 4-10 would be sufficient. And thinking ahead, I kind of like the idea of possibly using the SVT 18 with the 4-10 HLF. I am looking for powerful, low, deep bass, as well as a strong midrange to cut through the guitars. I have not been happy with the sound of the Carvin cabinets, and I am sure the 15 is blown.

I wonder why I don't hear (on the Ampeg site also) more talk about the SVT 18---it sounded really good to me...?

Anyway: Should I go with the 18 and possibly add the 4-10 HLF later---or would the 4-10HLF be sufficient in the low-end department, and possibly better and more versatile in the mids and highs?

Also---how do these cabinets match up with the Carvin amp? I believe the Ampegs are 4-Ohm speakers...would they work with the amp? What I am thinking is---if the amp is OK and the 4-10s decent, I could go with the SVT 18 to pull in an overall deep, warm sound that the Carvin 15 and 4-10s lacked...

Seriously, any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. Also: I play a Carvin LB-70 and a Peavey Millenium (American). What I want, however, is the Lakland 44-02---fits like a glove and sounded great at Rudy's in New York! Any thoughts on the basses with this proposed rig?
  2. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The 410hlf does indeed have tons of bottom. I haven't used the svt18 (I have a hlf) but my gut reaction is the two together would be a wall of mud. A 410hlf on it's own would be much more versatile than the svt18. A much better match in terms of tone with the ampeg gear would be a 410he with a 410hlf. The mid range bark of the 410he would sit very well with the hlf in my opinion. The hlf is definitely 4 ohms, I think the HE might be 8 ohms, you'd need to check that out. Find a 410hlf to try and see if it has enough bottom on it's own to suit you, they do go low.
  3. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have an HLF 4x10, and although it has much better low end than the HE, it definitely has a drop off once you get below about an A. I'm actually looking to add a 1x18 to my arsenal to handle my drop-Ds, so I really appreciate your pointing out this new addition to Ampeg line. I might pick one up myself...
  4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I have an SVT410HLF... I can't imagine adding an 18 to it. My estimation is also too much low end/all mud. It's already got the perfect amount of low end and mud for my taste.

But this does not mean you won't like it or shouldn't do it. The 18 under the already owned carvin might do the trick for you and save you $$ and hassle...