1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 2 or Ampeg SVT 4?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by novo, Mar 27, 2009.

1. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    I looking to buy a new amp and i've short listed both these heads, but don't know the difference between them(exept that the svt 2 is bigger than the 4)...
    I m not a tech guy so can anybody help me out which one to choose??

Danke Danke:)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The 2 is all-tube, the 4 is a hybrid. That's probably the biggest difference

Might I suggest reading about them on the Ampeg site?

3. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    cheers....well i prefer suggestions of other bass players:)

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand

5. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    if your going to buy a new one...dont get either...go for the SVT VR...in my and i think the other members of this boards oppinion its the best product still made by the overseas ampeg...

6. Yeah BUT.... the Ampeg site can (if they still do) supply you with a user manual for both & you'll get a LOTTA info on them that way.
    If U mean the SVT 2 PRO- it's all tube & a killer amp. Tho I'd recommend getting an older USA made SLM model or better still an older SVTII.

The SVT4PRO is solid state power amp with a tube PRE amp... USE the 'search' function in the AMPS section & U should find HEAPS of opinions of both/all

7. SVT-2 Pro > SVT-4 Pro
    SVT-II > SVT-2 Pro

IMO :) . Though you are comparing a hybrid and tube amp, so it's a bit of apples and oranges really.

8. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    i've used an svt2 (non-pro) since i bought it new in '91. it has never given me any problems, it's built like a tank (and almost as heavy as one), and delivers the goods. it sat in my closet for a few years when i dabbled with a combo (a step backwards). i took it to my amp tech to give it a once over due to its inactivity. it fired right up and needed no adjustment. it still has the original tubes. a reliable workhorse, the svt2. i highly recommend it.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, because other people's opinions are so much more reliable than your own, right? And if you can get other people to do your thinking for you, then you won't have to use your brain at all! Rock!

If you don't know the difference between a 2 Pro and a 4 Pro and you can't be bothered to take 10 seconds and look them up on the internet, then you shouldn't bother with either. That's a pretty friviolous attitude to take when spending a small fortune on an amp. You should at least have a clue what you're getting and why.

10. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    The SVTII is much warmer because of the tube power section. With that said.

I will never ever buy and SVTII or any SVT again unless it was built before 76. I had problems right out of the store and they trailed me for 17 years. It is out of warranty and I cant get any Good Amp techs to work on them. Now they are built in China. Even the SVTVR, dont believe any hype on that amp. Its not the true circuit path as the original. You want a great AMP! Check these All American Hand wired point to point Amps for just a few dollars more.

http://www.dividedby13.com/tbl200.html
    http://www.reevesamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=50

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It pretty much is. The 12DW7's they used in the original are merely half 12ax7/half 12au7, so they used the more common tubes to do the work of the 12DW7. It's not an exact duplicate but the sound is pretty much the same. Ampeg is currently owned by idiots, so I don't recommend getting one when you can get an older one for the same price, but if you get one that works, it's not going to sound a whole lot different than the originals, if at all.

As for not being able to find a good tech to work on yours, then you must not have any good techs in your area. The hardest thing about working on SVT's is the weight. Tube amps are pretty straightforward to work on, even a beast like the SVT. I find it hard to believe that you can't find a tech to work on it.

12. jepETC

jepETC

Jan 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Basson Sound, Audix Mics, SIT Strings
    Both heads are really good but in different aspecs. As someone said, it is apples and oranges. I recently just got the 4pro and i like it alot. You can shape your tone very nicely, clean low end and punchy...very versatile head. Havent had a chance to test a 2pro, but im sure its a good head as well, all tubed, cant go wrong there. I'd say go and test them both out for yourself, before making a decision.

13. ampeg_turtle

ampeg_turtle

Mar 22, 2009
    concord, nh
    Another imporant thing to look at is the cost of upkeep... More Tubes=more $$$ when the head needs a tune-up. If you're looking for set it and forget go solid state. If you have a passion for tone Tube is the way to go.

14. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    BUM BUM BUM BUM, just playing my bass... Watching all the posts go by. Man, I can't believe the OP didn't do a search on this. This topic has almost been beat to death.

OK have to chime in.

I do not believe there are any new SVT-2PRO's in stock anyway - anywhere. You will never see new stock from AMPEG ever again. My SVT-8PRO has been on back order for 9 months now, I know I will never see it. I'm starting to not give a rip.

SVT-4PRO's are in stock and available. GC even has B-Stocks for 899. BUT I will NEVER buy another 4PRO B STOCK ever again. That means it has been burned up and repaired. Most everybody who has bought a 4PRO (TB Company Excluded GAAK) is too ignorant to mount them in the proper rack and overheats them, permanently destroying them.

Forget everything I said, BUM BUM BUM BUM, just playing my bass. Watching all the posts go by...

BOB

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Interesting. In a strange sort of way.

16. Funny how some say ONLY get a pre Blah blah date one, & other's (including me-tho I've only had mine for 2 yrs abouts) say the SVTII's from 89-92 are built like tanks & are as reliable as .... well what's reliable these days- hmmm THAT'S a HARD one. As reliable as a pre 76 SVT ;-)